Chicago

There comes a time in a young man's life where he must choose where to further his education. For me, that time is now.
I am junior in high school and looking for a school that can further my musical education/career seeing that that is what i am the most invested/interested in. I understand that many schools are now offering a "Music Technology" major and that would be something very cool to pursue.
so please, if you know any schools that may interest me, or any you would like to recommend, i would really appreciate it!
cheers,
Aaron

babylon

shanghai

we have a self help / life coaching forum for this stuff dont we ?

Earth

You could make microchips.

Tacoma, WA

My advice is to look for a school with a good music program and then minor in electrical engineering. I do think you should give some serious thought to what you want to do with your life as it will become increasingly difficult to change the path you tread on. I, myself, am going to be a Cadet at the USMA next year and am hoping to go into cybersecurity and do spook-work.

Brunswick, GA USA

I can't recommend going to a college to learn about music tech because none of them have a curriculum that will teach anything you can't learn with some practice, gear, and google searches. There are other, better reasons to go to school, if that is truly what you are interested in. What do you actually want to learn about?

College is only good for 3 things: Credentials, contacts, and training for research. Not to say they're 3 negligible things, au contraire! They're very valuable.

However, if you wish to enter college, you do need to choose your major carefully. I made the slight mistake of not fully knowing what my major was about (mostly because of the vagueness of its description); however I find that I'm liking a lot of what it's involved in it, so I think I'm pretty well set. But in your case, you should really wonder what is it that you want for your career, and to research a little bit into what you're choosing.

Last edited by El Huesudo II (Mar 30, 2013 6:22 am)

ad-hell-aide

chunter, i would argue that going to school exposes you to things that "practice, gear, and google searches" wouldn't *necessarily* expose you to because one is stuck inside one's own head and only follows up on things one knows about in some way - that is to say, you don't know what you don't know.

Chicago, IL

If you want to get into programming, I say you're better off locking yourself in your room for 6 months with some .net, sql and php books. You could learn enough in that time period to get started as a programmer. All I learned in college is that there are still people who think you should learn COBOL in 2005.

montreal, qc

From another dude name Aaron with a gratifying yet useless degree in music composition, for the love of god no.
Just get yourself a CS degree and make wordpress front ends like the rest of us.

Montreal, Canada

Do not go to those technology/production scams. You'll learn nothing of value. Read more, watch tutorials, and most importantly... do it. Trial an error is where you'll get your chops. You won't become and sound engineer/producer/blabla in school.

montreal, qc

He's right; if you're in north america avoid any "technical college" that offers programs in audio production like the plague.

Brunswick, GA USA
little-scale wrote:

chunter, i would argue that going to school exposes you to things that "practice, gear, and google searches" wouldn't *necessarily* expose you to because one is stuck inside one's own head and only follows up on things one knows about in some way - that is to say, you don't know what you don't know.

That's what private teachers, shared songs, and performances can help with, and college environment can help with that if that is your goal and reason for going. Zabutom (I hope that is right) is going to, or went to (been a while since I caught up with him, as long as I'm not mixing him up with someone) a uni that has a modular synths program, which is a great fit for him and something I recommend if you want to learn how to work modular synths.

College is not a magic bullet. It's important to have a clear goal for both the educational and social aspects before you apply. I also find that the information most programs teach is dated in some way, so it's best to learn things that are not likely to have changed much or at least can be adapted to the present.

If a touring/gigging lifestyle is in the OPs plans, Martin Atkins teaches his Tour Smart! thing in one of the Chicago schools.

England

you dont really say what you want from the course.

do you want to learn how to make/fix/research? do electronics/physics.

do you want to learn how to use a studio and make a bad noise? volunteer at a local music studio/radio station

ive got an a level in music tech and i started a degree in music tech and then quit.
I wanted to learn how to use a studio but it wasnt not really worth it.

it can give you access to some proper studio equipment that you might not be able to afford but with very limited time slots to use it, you can spend half the day setting it up/getting everything to work and then you run out of time or someone comes along and fiddles with everything over night and you have to start again. fustrating.

Last edited by Jellica (Mar 30, 2013 1:40 pm)

LA:CA
walter b. gentle wrote:

Reminds me alot of The Dead Milkmen

Brunswick, GA USA

To make sure I am understood, I think there would be more to learn from an apprenticeship w/ Jellica or little-scale, so DM them for rates and fees. wink

You should have both academic and social goals as you decide.