Absolutely beautiful piece of software!  I'm a Mac user, but I think I'm going to pick this up just to support the cause!

Thank you for the amazing work, Aly!

West Yorks, UK

can we reverse the fb01 compatible patch dumps? like use fmdrive to export fb-01 compatible patches from the large range of patches ripped from mega drive games?!?! il donate twicew if thats possible / can be added!

FRANCE
gopal_metro wrote:

Absolutely beautiful piece of software!  I'm a Mac user, but I think I'm going to pick this up just to support the cause!

Thank you for the amazing work, Aly!

thanks!
maybe a "parallel desktop" solution could work on mac, I have seen a couple of solution to run windows VST in OSX environment...
until I got a mac myself I kind test anything, btw: I am waiting for some people who have working crossover systems to send me test results...

Unsubscribe

Wormhole plus a vm works for windows plugs, but is clunky.

New York, NY, USA

@Aly James - for porting to Mac you'll basically need a "programmed completely in C++ and/or Obj-C" solution since there's nothing like SynthEdit (though IIRC there might be a Mac version of Outsim SynthMaker, a tool far superior to SynthEdit). Given how much custom code you've made from scratch it might actually be easier to port since the syntax is almost one-to-one. XCode is free and almost any SDK you choose (Apple's Audio Unit SDK, JUCE, VST) will be free.

FRANCE
Domu wrote:

can we reverse the fb01 compatible patch dumps? like use fmdrive to export fb-01 compatible patches from the large range of patches ripped from mega drive games?!?! il donate twicew if thats possible / can be added!

YES!
Keep in mind that FB01 is YM2164 chip, closer to YM2151 than Sega's YM2612.
There is some subtle differences and more obvious ones like:
only YM2612 has the SSG envelopes...not even talking of non-FM features like build-in DAC and PCM support.
FB01 also has built in filtering that darken the sound a bit which YM2612 don't do (at least on direct chip output).

However if you disable some of the velocity and level adjusters on the FB01, you can definitely load some FMDrive presets on it!
It is not a direct one click solution, you have to convert .tfi exported presets into .opm first then you can convert that to a FB01 .sys file

To convert a tfi or a bunch of tfi presets into an .opm (simple text file for VOPM) you can use Shiru's vopmxtfi with this command line:
vopmxtfi.exe filename.opm filename.tfi and so on if you have many tfi presets
then,the tool I use is a python script called DXCONVERT/TXCONVERT version 2.1.4 (google it)
this is a great tool that tries with pretty great success to convert between DX100,DX27, DX21, TX81Z, WT11, DX11, FB01, YS100, YS200, TQ5, B200, DS55, V50 and OPM formats.

I will probably get in touch with the developer to add direct .tfi support at some point smile
I have made a test for FMDrive .tfi to FB01 ,trying to remake the famous Sonic the Hedgehog 1 track "Spring Yard Zone"  on the FB01...
The result is pretty good although it lacks PSG part (PCM drums added on top of the FB01 FM)
>> http://www.alyjameslab.com/tutorials/So … 1_test.wav

Once the FMDrive to VGM converter will be out, I think I will make a new add on manual called FMDrive & SPSG "Advanced manual" that will explain in detail everything related to data conversion and formats and this will also cover the famous X68000 MDX format, ADPCM etc... smile smile

Hopefully this will be pretty soon, in between my current research and work on the famous Linn Drum LM-1 recreation...

btw: if you just discovered this thread or haven't checked it for a while, you might take a look at my soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/alyjameslab
the tracks with (vgm) in the name showcases some of the FMDrive & SPSG to VGM conversion success smile

Last edited by Aly James (Jan 24, 2014 12:40 am)

FRANCE

Oh and I forgot to tell you all that JESPER KYD ( http://project2612.org/search.php?query … d=composer )
composer of some of the craziest Megadrive BGM has joined the FMDrive & SPSG users! smile
If you don't know these tracks, check the link above!

Jesper:
"Hi Aly, I have been using both programs and they are great. The SPSG is really cool, especially digging the slot sequencer with the clock and speed."

Yeah I have removed the part where he said that he has got occasionally some 64bit cubase internal bridging issue with SPSG...
Everybody knows that Cubase internal bridge 32/64 pretty sucks ! smile smile
more seriously, hopefully he will find some good use of these vintage tools in his current productions and maybe make a full FM + PSG track like in the good ol' days!

FRANCE
neologix wrote:

@Aly James - for porting to Mac you'll basically need a "programmed completely in C++ and/or Obj-C" solution since there's nothing like SynthEdit (though IIRC there might be a Mac version of Outsim SynthMaker, a tool far superior to SynthEdit). Given how much custom code you've made from scratch it might actually be easier to port since the syntax is almost one-to-one. XCode is free and almost any SDK you choose (Apple's Audio Unit SDK, JUCE, VST) will be free.

Definitely, btw: SPSG is 95% custom C++ because i have learned a lot along the way of making FMDrive smile
GUI C++ drawing is my main lack of knowledge, this is why SE comes in handy with the help of some ASM coded curves from Chris Kerry..., plus I like to support the effort of the dev who actually got an apha SE VSt3 ready and Xcode compatible...
Also I will add that everything I have coded so far is 64bit compatible, this is just my current built of SE which is not...yet smile
I will definitely ends in full C++ at some point, this is a logic evolution.
3 years ago I was buying my first breadboard with a couple of transistors, learned all that along the way, still making music,
this is a fantastic journey with great people here and there all over the world.

knowing your YM2612 involvement, If you want to help at some point, just PM me wink

Last edited by Aly James (Jan 24, 2014 12:20 am)

New York, NY, USA
Aly James wrote:

knowing your YM2612 involvement, If you want to help at some point, just PM me wink

No problem, and if/when I get my MacBook Pro up and running again I'll definitely be doing something along the lines of a YM2612 AU myself smile

FRANCE
neologix wrote:
Aly James wrote:

No problem, and if/when I get my MacBook Pro up and running again I'll definitely be doing something along the lines of a YM2612 AU myself smile

IIRC I remember to tweak your java web based operators one years ago smile .I'll b glad to share my CSM documentation if needed wink
by the way it can be cool to add tfi >> opm and opm >> tfi to your converter smile in this case your blank windows on the right could display whats in the presets...

New York, NY, USA
Aly James wrote:

by the way it can be cool to add tfi >> opm and opm >> tfi to your converter smile in this case your blank windows on the right could display whats in the presets...

I did plan on adding format conversion to a future version, but didn't yet have an idea for where to put it on the interface. That's a good idea, thanks!

FRANCE

smile

New York, NY, USA
Aly James wrote:

IIRC I remember to tweak your java web based operators one years ago smile .I'll b glad to share my CSM documentation if needed wink

I really do need to go back and fix the JavaScript YM2612, it's actually quite broken. I must have gotten something basic completely wrong and I left it sit all this time.

FRANCE

last but not least... SPOILER...
MID2VGM will now support FMDrive MIDI CC automation, basically all YM2612 registers... but what I have in mind for the future will be the reverse!
VGM2MID with register to FMDrive MIDI CC conversion, this way a track with constantly moving registers like Jesper Kyd "Gotham by Night" could be completely redone in no time...

San Francisco

I was working on some FM programming today for my genmdm. I NEEED A MAC VERSION ALY! Save me!

FRANCE

FMDrive VST + SPSG VST demo playlist updated wink
https://soundcloud.com/alyjameslab/sets/fmdrive-vsti