I downloaded the renoise demo and loaded chipsounds in it. I tried to program some pitch bends and nothing happened. I'm guessing it is because chipsounds is a vst? Anyways is there a way to do pitch bends?

Any tutorials out there on chipsounds with renoise?

Would anyone be willing to share an example file with me so I could take a look at how things are set up?

Sweden

I guess you would need to use MIDI control messages to do pitch bending. The slides and vibrato (and other pitch effects in Renoise) really only work on internal instruments. You can however send standard MIDI pitch bends with it.

Tacoma, WA

I recommend you read the manual.
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Instr … effects.29

The short answer to your question is no. You could just as easily use a sample sound and load it up as a loopable instrument and go from there.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to read up and play around a little then. I love the sound of the NES pitch bends. I am wondering if the midi pitch bends will sound similar.

Chicago, IL
spacerobot wrote:

I downloaded the renoise demo and loaded chipsounds in it. I tried to program some pitch bends and nothing happened. I'm guessing it is because chipsounds is a vst? Anyways is there a way to do pitch bends?

Any tutorials out there on chipsounds with renoise?

Would anyone be willing to share an example file with me so I could take a look at how things are set up?

You can do pitch bends by automating Midi CC = 12 but it doesnt sound like a real sweet on the NES or other console..

See this:
http://plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6368

Sweden

The big difference is that pitch bends on chip platforms (some FM chips excluded, I guess) are usually linear, while pitch bends in MIDI are usually logarithmic. An important thing to consider is that you might have to set the bend range in the VST (if possible) to get really wide bends.

Some VSTs will also allow overlapping notes to glide into each other (portamento) over a constant time, so you could perform your bends that way as well.

Brunswick, GA USA

A trick I have done with some VSTs is to automate the tuning parameter and do my bends with that- it is occasionally a different level of precision, ymmv. You may also consider automating the portamento/glide settings.

Use a meta effect called Automation Tool to do those.

Chicago, IL

This is where you start to see the downside of using MIDI-based stuff like Chipsounds instead of trackers or actual hardware. I sometimes make my bending notes in Famitracker and then sample them into the song instead of trying to fake it with chipsounds. Still, you can't deny that having everything in your DAWs is so awesome for remixing or transposing stuff.

Thanks for the info! I did some playing around with midi automation and bending last night. It sounds a little different. It doesn't have that awesome NES sound. I think at this point I will work on learning LSDJ on an emulator. Once I put a song together and I feel it's something I would pursue then I think I would get hooked up with a game boy for the hardware.

Chicago, IL

Yeah it's definitely worth learning on an emulator first. You might find you hate the workflow of making a song in LSDJ or a tracker, especially if you've done a lot with DAWS in the past. If I just need like some NES triangle bass, I'll use chip sounds, it's great for that. But if I want some crazy bendy sweepy lead, I'm going to use famitracker for that. As for gameboy stuff, LSDJ blows away what chipsounds offers for the gameboy chip.

I think the best thing about chipsounds is all the 'rare' chips it has like the TIA and old arcade stuff. You just don't hear those sounds enough!

Unsubscribe

You need to use the built in sequencer to get chippy sounds. Midi doesnt have that sexy tracker resolution required.

herr_prof wrote:

You need to use the built in sequencer to get chippy sounds. Midi doesnt have that sexy tracker resolution required.

Do you mean the pattern editor in renoise or some other sequencer?

Last edited by spacerobot (Apr 3, 2013 3:17 am)

Chicago IL

I don't even use slides anymore, grace notes ALL DAY

Unsubscribe

The wave sequencer looks like a tracker DONUT?

Chicago IL

There's some command where you can render a section into a sample, and then you can do tracker style pitch bends with effect commands to it.

But also since you just grabbed a demo you probably aren't that serious about renoise.

Brunswick, GA USA

I think you need a pay version to do that, but it's quite right...

Of course you can draw or use generative scripts unless there is something peculiar to plogue that you prefer...