Madison, WI

Just wanted an update, I haven't been over to the east coast in almost 2 years now.  How have things changed with the discontinuation of Blip?  What's going on with the Tank?

matt's mind

(call this curiosity)

did you opt to not try to move out to the PNW?

any reason why?  its something i've thought about a lot lately, i'd love to hear your feedback if you've decided against that and are looking elsewhere (NYC) now, and the reason why i suppose (jobs?  high rent?  etc?)...  but perhaps you're simply curious and i'm looking too much into your threads about what places are like wink

BK

NYC is going strong. The Tank isn't as involved in NYC chipmusic as it used to be, at least with the monthly shows, since the venue isn't big enough for Pulsewave anymore after they had to move offices. I/O is going strong, and has become as big as Pulsewave if not  bigger. Control-Flow is a new series that's kicking quite a bit of ass, and there's an handful of other local shows happening as well.
I don't think the discontinuation of Blip has had that much of an effect on the scene in NYC - people still come out and have a great time, and the crowds are just as big for the most part.

Madison, WI

I passed on the PNW after my visit there late last year.  I found the people to be a bit standoffish, not as inviting as I've found elsewhere in the country.

That and my SP with my unreleased third album got stolen at the show.  Kind of soured me.  Unfair, I know, but I took it as a sign not to give it any further serious consideration.

I'm looking at somewhere in California, NYC, or (maybe) STL at the moment.

Seattle, WA US

Yeah from what I heard some mega sketchy kids came to that party hmm sorry to hear that/that I couldn't make it out to hang out

Unsubscribe

Yea pdx has tons of homeless dicks but so do most of the cooler cities.

Milwaukee, WI

In all fairness, Madison is full of hippies. Too nice. big_smile

Why are you leaving WI/Midwest?

ad-hell-aide

What is PNW?

vancouver, canada

the Pacific NorthWest.  home to seattle, portland, vancouver, and anywhere else that's near the Canada/US border on the west coast of north america.

nonfinite wrote:

I passed on the PNW after my visit there late last year.  I found the people to be a bit standoffish, not as inviting as I've found elsewhere in the country.

sorry to hear about that man!   though i think i can understand what you're talking about, people in the PNW tend to be a little more insular and avoid engaging each other compared with elsewhere.  i'm not referring specifically to the chip community here per se but just people in general, that's how a lot of us like it smile

Last edited by bryface (Apr 2, 2013 8:33 pm)

Finland

I played I/O on January and everybody were super friendly, lot different vibe than in european shows, but in a cool way.

And I was surprised how many people there were on considering it was monday night, after some huge blizzard and the venue didnt have license to sell alcohol at that point hehe.

Last edited by DKSTR (Apr 2, 2013 10:54 pm)

Douglas, Wyoming
nonfinite wrote:

That and my SP with my unreleased third album got stolen at the show.  Kind of soured me.  Unfair, I know, but I took it as a sign not to give it any further serious consideration.

I'm looking at somewhere in California, NYC, or (maybe) STL at the moment.

I might be moving to San Diego, anybody from California know how the scene is there?

Brunswick, GA USA

Necro the "scene in your town" thread?

San Diego, CA

yeah sounds more like a discussion for that.

but really quickly: san diego scene isn't as robust as the scenes in SF or LA, mostly because we don't have as many chiptune guys here. playing shows, however, is pretty easy if you know a couple people/venues to deal with! so it's a nice compromise -- we don't have quite the "scene unity" as the other places, which means not as many chiptune-only shows, but we do have way more opportunities for people to play out than other places I've been to. and that doesn't mean we NEVER have chiptune-only shows, either; we do, it's just that none of us have much of a draw, so if we ever do end up having chip-only shows, they're usually on weeknights so we don't risk the venues' bar sales sad

and the music scene in general around here is a little fickle when it comes to show turnout -- you need to have a lot of buzz if you want good turnouts at your show/any show in general because people are less willing to drive out for a show that just sounds good on paper around here. most of the music scene is concentrated in the gaslamp district downtown, which is basically nightclubs or bars trying to be nightclubs, which means EDM. the rest of the venues are spread out across various neighborhoods which aren't actually that far apart. the problem is that it FEELS like a long distance (freeways are a big thing here) which kind of increases the fickle-ness of the music-goers around here. there isn't as much of a rallying point for the indie scene as there is in other places, which hurts us a little, imo.

not that it isn't a great place to do music! it's just different. and we also get sun like 360 days of the year, and seasons don't exist so you can go outside at night in January and wear shorts, which is a huge plus as far as I'm concerned (and I don't even wear shorts)!

(that wasn't so quick sorry guys)

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Apr 3, 2013 4:51 pm)

California
Monotron wrote:

I might be moving to San Diego, anybody from California know how the scene is there?

All i can say is that most gigs are 21+ so that means i usually cant make it because of that
;________;  Pat!!!! We need to busk moreeee mannnnn.....

Los Angeles, CA

San Diego is also less than 2 hours from Los Angeles, and I guess up here we remotely have our shit more together than SD in terms of a chipscene...I dunno though, I always have more fun playing shows in San Diego. The venues actually pay, and they give you drink tickets. And the people who do come out are way rad.

Last edited by Wizwars (Apr 3, 2013 8:02 pm)

Miami is warm, sunny, and not as filthy or crowded as NYC. But the scene is nonexistent and I have no friends. Everybody (who is nice/cool) should move here!