))<>((

I'm looking to paint my Greyboy, I thought it'd be awesome to use glow in the dark paint, and I know pretty much nothing about kinds of paints, or anything, so I was wondering, would this paint work?

Also, how much paint would I need?

Thanks guys. smile

"Glows over an amazing twelve hours"

would it be worth the paint job if it does only around 12 hours?

Last edited by Flopps (Mar 28, 2010 11:11 pm)

))<>((

I'm pretty sure that means it glows for twelve hours after 'charging' it. tongue

Chicago IL

no i'm pretty sure the paint has a battery life of 12 hours, and after you paint it it just falls off, right? so you can paint it again?

Chicago IL

non sarcastic reply: these paints probably arent meant to bond to plastic. if the paint doesnt end up on your fingers, gig bag, etc, it will most likely feel terrible and flake off eventually

))<>((

well, curses!

would any paint meant for plastics work, then?

You may be able to use it with a primer underneath? Or by lightly sanding the surface of the DMG before applying the paint. Both should help the glowpaint adhere.

Chicago IL

well thats the thing, you don't just want the paint to adhere, you want a paint that will dye the plastic / soak into it a bit. stuff like rit dye or spray paints that specifically say they bond to plastic are the best way to go

Litebritedeath Land

thretris always mentions some special automotive spray that helps a ton in bonding the paint to the plastic.  i can't recall the name but ask him and he will tell you!

Eugene, OR

The best way to use these paints would be to get the powder and use an HVLP spray gun like a sata minijet.  This way you could use regular paint mixed with the powder and use a decent adhesion promoter.  It would be very similar to spraying pearl or metallics.

))<>((
capcomposer wrote:

The best way to use these paints would be to get the powder and use an HVLP spray gun like a sata minijet.  This way you could use regular paint mixed with the powder and use a decent adhesion promoter.  It would be very similar to spraying pearl or metallics.

well, damn.

I don't have any special painting equipment, know how to use it, nor can I afford it.

curses.

Eugene, OR
sxe_weekend wrote:

thretris always mentions some special automotive spray that helps a ton in bonding the paint to the plastic.  i can't recall the name but ask him and he will tell you!

I turned him on to it smile  Bulldog is the best.
http://www.autotoolworld.com/Kleanstrip … 14559.html

BOSTON

i misread this thread as "glow in the dark pants"; am very disappointed.

))<>((

hahahaha I wish I had glow in the dark pants.

Eugene, OR

like this!! 

on another note....  try this. http://www.krylon.com/products/glowz/

))<>((
capcomposer wrote:

on another note....  try this. http://www.krylon.com/products/glowz/

but that only comes in one colour. sad

blargh.