Madriz, Supain

Hi guys

Im struggling with an homage to both Ladytron and Nirvana, taking a drum from here, a riff from there, etc, and I found myself stuck in the lead position.

Im playing F/A/A#/F# on the wav channel, some kicks and upbeat bass on PU2 and your everyday hihat and snares on NOI. However, my pulse sounds plain and shit. This is what im doing:

EN D2
WA 75%
LE unlimited
No sweep (FF)

and goes to a table for some stereo effect

O Lr
O LR
H  02

Any ideas and suggestions?

Ps : yes, I searched thru the forums already.

Try 50%

Last edited by Jotie (Apr 9, 2013 12:38 am)

NC in the US of America

Thuis is kind of an open-ended question. There are many ways to make your PU leads more interesting. You could use some W commands. You could use 0C, 18, etc, in the TSP column. You could put one W command at the beginning to give it a blip effect. You could use V commands. Lot's of stuff you can do. My generic go-to pulse lead is a 25% that goes to W12.5%, with some Vibrato thrown in after it's rung out for awhile.

I've been using a lot of "plain" pulse lately, though.

Madriz, Supain

Hmm, Im using lots of V commands actually, and a few chord (C) here and there. I also use lots of w commands for arps.

Im more concerned about a technopop instrument by itself (maybe using a table, maybe using sweep, i dont know, i rarely use PU1 ) than spicing the melody. Ima try the TSP column, thanks

EDIT: Nah, sounds too arp-ish for what I'm looking for.

Maybe if I post some non.chip examples you guys could guide me better?

Last edited by SuperBustySamuraiMonkey (Apr 9, 2013 12:54 am)

NC in the US of America
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

Hmm, Im using lots of V commands actually, and a few chord (C) here and there. I also use lots of w commands for arps.

Im more concerned about a technopop instrument by itself (maybe using a table, maybe using sweep, i dont know, i rarely use PU1 ) than spicing the melody. Ima try the TSP column, thanks

EDIT: Nah, sounds too arp-ish for what I'm looking for.

Maybe if I post some non.chip examples you guys could guide me better?

Yes. Also, have you tried using the TSP without having it "H" back and keep looping the TSP? Kind of a popcornish sound.

Sweep is pretty useless for what you want, I think. It's a hardware P command, basically.

OH, I forgot, have you tried using really high V commands to get a scratchy sound? Like, V43, V57, that type of thing.

Montreal, Canada

examples would help yeah

Madriz, Supain

lead starting on 0:18 under the vocals. Sounds pretty chip actually, is probably a square? on 1:08 you can hear another interesting lead

lead on the intro or after every vocal line (0:41, for example)

1:59 bridge lead

1:25 , besides using chords

Nottingham, UK

Ladytron just sounds like a square.
Depeche mode sounds like you might want to try some slow vibrato settings and maybe play with the volume column to get that atack and decay thing.
The Human league might need you to play with som high frequency vibrato to make it a bit more grating.
I can't think of much for the visage.

Madriz, Supain

Those are actually useful suffestions, I dont use volume column much , usually envelope is just fine. Ima try some decay stuff.

Ill check this thread again in a few hours. Keep it up guys! We might end patchbooking

Madriz, Supain

Updating: using the volumn column is working a lot for pad notes.