Robotcity, the year 20XX

I think this isn't covered yet, as in: I could not find anything...

How the hell does Luke make those chords in slam dunk lifestyle at the beginning, say 30 seconds into the song? Is it a sample? Is it two DMGs? Is it an advanced technique I HAVE to learn?

rochester, ny

2 gameboys

Robotcity, the year 20XX

Crap. That's what I was assuming... I was secretly hoping that it would be some sort of crazy technique. Do you think you can cram more notes into one dmg if you sample chords? Or will that not work?

buffalo, NY

Sampling chords would be pretty hard, I imagine the loop points (retriggers) would sound pretty sloppy since the samples have to be short

rochester, ny
danimal cannon wrote:

Sampling chords would be pretty hard, I imagine the loop points (retriggers) would sound pretty sloppy since the samples have to be short

I wonder if they would play back in tune and if they didn't, if you could compensate.

Nottingham, UK

Doesn't Roboctopus sample guitar chords in one of his songs?

Madison, Alabama
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

I do!

http://roboctopus.bandcamp.com/track/th … -the-world

I recorded myself playing the chord progression, chopped it up, compressed the hell out of it, EQ'd, etc, and loaded the samples into LSDJ.

It's pretty noisy, but they do play in tune. I just think of them as a little more punk. I use some piano chords on another track on that EP.

If you're cool with bitcrushy fuzz, then sampled chords work. But it takes a lot of EQ/tweaking to get them to sound okay. They're really fun to use R and P commands on.

my mom's basement
roboctopus wrote:
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

I do!

I recorded myself playing the chord progression, chopped it up, compressed the hell out of it, EQ'd, etc, and loaded the samples into LSDJ.

It's pretty noisy, but they do play in tune. I just think of them as a little more punk. I use some piano chords on another track on that EP.

If you're cool with bitcrushy fuzz, then sampled chords work. But it takes a lot of EQ/tweaking to get them to sound okay. They're really fun to use R and P commands on.

That's actually really cool, I wonder how sampling a bass would go. I'm pretty sick of triangle bass.

Nottingham, UK
Catf1sh wrote:
roboctopus wrote:

I do!

That's actually really cool, I wonder how sampling a bass would go. I'm pretty sick of triangle bass.

You have to roll off a lot of bass and treble to get kits sounding decent, You could try it but I think the bass would be quite lacking.

buffalo, NY
Catf1sh wrote:
roboctopus wrote:

I do!

It's been done, with great success!  Also see Batman Return Of The Joker