-- REMOVED --

Last edited by Enfy (Mar 5, 2019 10:43 pm)

Last edited by BlakePalmer (Mar 20, 2018 11:01 pm)

Taichung, Taiwan
BlakePalmer wrote:
Enfy wrote:

I know it can be fixed but I think I'll ruin it (I get the mods done by someone else)

Vertical lines are super easy to fix. All you need is a soldering iron.
Although I get what you're saying.
but in my opinion, it's one of the easiest fixes that anyone should be able to do. It literally takes like 2 minutes max

Screens that have vertical lines that are repaired are more likely to get them back again. In my experience very few repaired screens stay repaired for long.

I have a clear DMG-01 case if you are interested. In the US.

-- REMOVED --

Last edited by Enfy (Mar 5, 2019 10:43 pm)

Last edited by BlakePalmer (Mar 20, 2018 11:01 pm)

I'm just about to paint a clear gameboy from the inside at the moment.
I usually just get them on Martkplaats.

Taichung, Taiwan

Sending you a PM.

BlakePalmer wrote:

Interesting. I've repaired more than 10 "broken" DMG's from craigslist with vertical lines and every single one of them have stayed permanently fixed for years now.
I've found that it definitely depends on the amount of heat being applied consistently with the iron.

Maybe it's just the different extents of damages that we've had to deal with, but you guys can feel free to buy full price gameboys all you want smile

I've saved tons of DMGs from the grave yard by doing other random repairs but the one thing I've never successfully done was repair dead vertical lines.  I've never made it worse thankfully but I've never been able to fix the problem.  Are there any good picture or video tutorials on the procedure?  Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Oh, and about fixing lines.
I usually use a soldering iron and put on some fresh solder with a flux core. The flux prevents the solder from sticking to the brown strip, and the blob of solder helps the heat to be distributed evenly on the contacts.

You might have some flux residue afterwards, but that's easy to clean.

The idea of spreading solder onto the ribbon cable scares me I think.  Also, the solder I have didn't have a label or anything.  It was in an unmarked tube with the solder pen when I bought it so I'm not sure if it has a flux core.

Last edited by BlakePalmer (Mar 20, 2018 11:02 pm)

-- REMOVED --

Last edited by Enfy (Mar 5, 2019 10:44 pm)

You can usually see where the bad connections are if you slide your iron across the strip. After that, just keep it on that spot for a few seconds.

Sometimes the lines disappear when you remove the iron, only to come back when the solder underneath cools down.

BlakePalmer wrote:
nerdsome wrote:

I've saved tons of DMGs from the grave yard by doing other random repairs but the one thing I've never successfully done was repair dead vertical lines.  I've never made it worse thankfully but I've never been able to fix the problem.  Are there any good picture or video tutorials on the procedure?  Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I don't know of any video tutorials, but i'm sure there are some on youtube. This is basically how i do it though:

All you need is a soldering iron and solder. heat it up, now add some solder but not too much, and apply it on that part underneath the removable strip near the bottom area of the panel. Don't be scared to heat up a certain area for a long time. You should be able to see what's happening on the screen as you're doing this. Make sure the contrast is set correctly. It may take a few tries, but just move the soldering iron across every few seconds, back and forth consistently, and you'll see every single line come back. I'm pretty sure that should do the trick.

Horizontal lines are the ones that can never be fixed, i've tried before and it was awful. i tried to heat up a paperclip and gently press it against the horizontal screen ribbon to heat it up slightly, but instead it cut right through it like butter lol.

I didn't use solder when I did this but I used a hot soldering iron and it did make the lines reappear but every time I lifted the iron, the lines would disappear again.  Kept trying and trying but it never works for me.  Tried it on numerous DMGs before I gave up.

Madriz, Supain

if you have a working gameboy i have a spare clearboy shell

Last edited by BlakePalmer (Mar 20, 2018 11:02 pm)