I've searched high and low for this today, so I'm pretty sure this isn't possible besides playing the sounds off the .tfi or .ins files in a program like VGM MM (for example) and recording them to a .wav manually.

The reason I ask this, is that I am unable to run VGM MM and TFM smoothly from my mac. I'm slowly getting to grips with DefleMask but (no offence Delek) it's not very intuitive like other trackers and is a bit of a mess. My tracker of choice is MilkyTracker. I've been playing with little scales sega samples on it, but they're just not what I'm looking for in comparison to the instruments I've been getting and messing with in DefleMask, VGM and TFM.

Could anyone enlighten me on this matter? Or better yet have some magical technique to run said files (.tfi / .ins) in milkytracker or any other mac compatible tracker?
Or will I have to record all my sounds manually?

Thanks for your time. And sorry in advance if this is a stupid question...

Sweden

Just play the sounds in sequence in the tracker, export as wav and cut the thing up in your favorite audio editor. I don't think there's any shortcut besides maybe automating the split process with SoX or something.

FRANCE

If Milky tracker support VST, I release a new SEGA GENESIS VST SYNTH called FMDRIVE it load and save .tfi files, unfortunately it doesn't work on mac for the moment only WIN  http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/10684 … vst-synth/

NC in the US of America

Milky Tracker does not support VST, but OpenMPT does. I think that's Windows only, though.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

You can't record a FM preset in a single WAV and hope to get a sound like in a true FM context, the FM Algorithm is not linear through frequencies, this means that a sound in a specific frequency could change a LOT when it is played with lower or higher carrier hz. Lot of math is running there.
Sample based trackers will do a mess with a FM sample, they will do simple linear change of pitch and you will lose the FM magic. You should record ALL notes that you want to use to not lose the FM sound, a pain.

Despite you don't like DefleMask, it seems to be your best option:
True Genesis sound, ROM exporting feature, .bin (RAW SMPS dump) .tfi (TFM Music Maker format) .y12 (GENS KMod dump) .ins (MVS Tracker format) .vgi (VGM Music Maker format) presets support and Windows, Linux and Mac version.

It is as intuitive as FastTracker II, many people accustomed to it back in the day are feeling at home with DefleMask. You should take more time with it, after a while the speed and the understanding of how to make sounds grows exponentially.

Sorry but I love DefleMask heart tongue

Last edited by Delek (Apr 13, 2013 12:36 am)

NC in the US of America
Delek wrote:

You should record ALL notes that you want to use to not lose the FM sound, a pain.

A bit off-topic, but I actually did that recently: I recorded HivelyTracker samples note by note for use in the Android beat maker "Groove Mixer", since it was the best interface for my device that I could find at the time, but didn't have any type of pitch capabilities (it's a beat box, not a melody maker). Anyway... yeah...

Delek wrote:

Despite you don't like DefleMask, it seems to be your best option:
True Genesis sound, ROM exporting feature, .bin (RAW SMPS dump) .tfi (TFM Music Maker format) .y12 (GENS KMod dump) .ins (MVS Tracker format) .vgi (VGM Music Maker format) presets support and Windows, Linux and Mac version.

It is as intuitive as FastTracker II, many people accustomed to it back in the day are feeling at home with DefleMask. You should take more time with it, after a while the speed and the understanding of how to make sounds grows exponentially.

Sorry but I love DefleMask heart tongue

I actually really enjoy deflemask, my main problems are the BPM and Octive functions along side the pattern layout. I read the manual, but it doesn't seem to be so clear on how to configure the BPM and other things (unless I'm just being stupid).

I've been recording .tfi and .ins instruments to .wav and using them as samples in Milkytracker. Once I've finished what I'm working on, maybe I'll give deflemask another shot.

Thanks for the all the suggestions and info guys

Buenos Aires, Argentina

BPM is something really virtual and non real in any Chipmusic/Video-Game-Console tracker.
All of the stuff running in this type of environment is based on how much frames or V-Sync or ticks (or whatever, but will be always related to a specific base speed, a.k.a CPU/Screen/etc). BPM could be calculated and displayed based on the previous explained data, but you can't actually set the BMP, because the speed is actually being processed as how much "keyframes" are in a row (as in FamiTracker, as in VGMMM, as in DefleMask, etc, etc, etc).

The speed in DefleMask could be specified PER ROW using specific commands, so you can get virtually any speed you want, also you have a general Speed A/B values, where A is for even rows and B is for uneven rows for faster sets.

.FILTHadelphia
Culture wrote:

I actually really enjoy deflemask, my main problems are the BPM

To get custom BPM you need to adjust the custom hertz until you find what you're looking for. Typically I set up a 4/4 beat then use a tap BPM until I find the range I'm looking for. It's not precise but will get you in range of what you're looking for.