The Mountains

i got money. i bought one-way ticket. i'm gonna start my own chip-con, with blackjack, and hookers

on second thought forget the chip-con and the blackjack

NYC

oh bender..what won't you do...

Milwaukee, WI

Another question:

What was so bad on this thread that made an entire venue/promoters so butthurt? As far as I know no one came out and said "Fuck you. You suck and I want you to eat my dick because you suck. Go die.", yet a select few are acting like *everyone* said those words exactly. Repeatedly.

I'll ask again: Is chip music always like this? I don't come from this side of the tracks.

NYC
RG wrote:

Another question:

What was so bad on this thread that made an entire venue/promoters so butthurt? As far as I know no one came out and said "Fuck you. You suck and I want you to eat my dick because you suck. Go die.", yet a select few are acting like *everyone* said those words exactly. Repeatedly.

I'll ask again: Is chip music always like this? I don't come from this side of the tracks.

as far as i have been into it no not really

Carbondale, IL

I was invited as a vendor.  Would have cost me $400 for a train ticket and a sleeping car one way.  While I was still thinking about whether I was going to go, I was rather excited about the possibility of going to my first chiptune show.  Really sad to see this fell through.

lolusa
RG wrote:

Another question:

No, "chipmusic" is not always like this.
An inquisitive nature is not detrimental.
An inquisitive nature is what lead "us" to this music.

New York City

NYC

i don't think it's the appropriate time for demotivating posters. I think we've kinda had enough of that dontcha think? We had an amazing event happening that wound up in a crapshoot...

Melbourne, Australia
s0nlxaftrsh0ck wrote:

i don't think it's the appropriate time for demotivating posters. I think we've kinda had enough of that dontcha think? We had an amazing event happening that wound up in a crapshoot...

Well... no. There was never an amazing event. People keep talking about this as if it was sure fire. The level of commitment displayed was non existant. These are people who got excited about something 'new' and 'trendy' and wanted to come to the sandpit to play. Then when they found out how unrewarding chip music promotion is they made their excuses and bailed.
They booked and promoted an unrealistic gig that was never going to happen and now they are trying to blame it on the scene. Poor form. They deserve all the flames that can be fanned IMO.

New York City
celsius wrote:

Well... no. There was never an amazing event. People keep talking about this as if it was sure fire. The level of commitment displayed was non existant. [...]
They booked and promoted an unrealistic gig that was never going to happen and now they are trying to blame it on the scene. Poor form. They deserve all the flames that can be fanned IMO.

Celsius is heaps wise.

By the way:

con
4 /kɒn/  Spelled [kon]  IPA adjective, verb,conned, con·ning, nounInformal.
–adjective
1. involving abuse of confidence: a con trick.

–verb (used with object)
2. to swindle; trick: That crook conned me out of all my savings.
3. to persuade by deception, cajolery, etc.

–noun
4. a confidence game or swindle.
5. a lie, exaggeration, or glib self-serving talk: He had a dozen different cons for getting out of paying traffic tickets

Funny, isn't it? big_smile

Last edited by akira^8GB (Apr 6, 2010 2:36 am)

NJ

if anyone actually still is going to be in this area, hit me up!

Melbourne, Australia

Those of you saying you were looking forward to chip music events and people new to the scene who haven't seen a show yet, there are chip scenes all over the place - there are other shows probably local - sure they may not be as big, but the people will be friendly (in my experience) and the music will generally be pretty good wink

Artists (in my experience) are always willing to play, just give them half an excuse and you've got a show just look out for one and get along to it! smile

NYC

ah-so...

i'm gonna try to make it to the next pulsewave if anything though...

Last edited by s0nlxaftrsh0ck (Apr 6, 2010 2:47 am)

Brooklyn NY US

Not having been involved in this as an artist, I acknowledge that this development doesn't affect me directly, but for whatever an observer's perspective is worth -- I took a spin through this thread again, and while there were some differing opinions being traded concerning some of the details, the overall atmosphere seemed to me to be one of excited anticipation; and for the most part, any contrary opinions being voiced were done so in a pretty civil way, and any concerns being brought up were done so out of what I'd consider a healthy skepticism. In other words, as far as internet shit-slinging goes, I've certainly seen a whole lot worse. So for me the biggest question is -- how fragile does an event have to be, to be toppled so easily by some chatter on an internet forum? I've booked shows before, and I've honestly never heard of a situation where a venue could be so easily spooked by cross-talk on the internet. I can't even really think of any examples where a venue gave a shit about online discussions at all.

I have to say too that blaming your target audience for the logistical collapse of the event strikes me as pretty unprofessional. Again: if a conversation like this one is all it took to capsize the show, the plans were obviously not very solid or dependable to begin with.

It's a shame this couldn't come together, it would have been amazing to see all of these artists in one place. I don't think anyone faulted you for trying, or doubted your intentions. I think the people that you saw as detractors were probably just hoping that you'd be able to dispel their concerns about the event being too good to be true. It's too bad that's how it turned out; it's doubly tragic that all it took to GET there was the mere question of whether that was how things were going to turn out.

Xonthox

So guys, good news.  Chip-Con is back on, but its at my house and its in June, and only J Arthur Keenes and I are playing, and there are 15 seats.

best i could muster, sorry.  But we have a nice sofa for 1 person who is coming from out of town, any takers?

I'm not surprised at all.

This seemed way too good to be true.