Norway
Gas Powered EP

Download for free here: http://kubbi.bandcamp.com/album/gas-powered-ep

After 6 weeks of composing, producing and procrastrinating me and my friend finally finished the new Kubbi EP "Gas Powered EP". We tried to blend the typical Kubbi chiptune/electronic style with heavy guitar riffs and the beautiful sound of acoustic guitars, and we are both really proud of what we ended up with. Sharing much of the same musical interests, passion for producing and addiction to the web cartoon "Bravest Warriors" made this collaboration inevitable. This 4 Track EP of original music is a dedication to everyone at Cartoon Hangover, Pendleton Ward and all other fans of their work.

'This' a jive-ass EP'
- Impossibear

'This EP wants more carrots and more breadcrumbs'
- Catbug

Let us know what you think

NC in the US of America

Ooooh... wow. That first track brings to mind so many nice and nostalgic things. I'd make a list but...

› >

Great opener.

This is really really good. *smh* The chip+guitar+other blend is just perfect perfect. I mean, seriously.

› >

Edit: Encore! Encore! I hope you two do more of this.

Edit: This is, imo, the best of this general type of rock+chip combination that I've heard. So much heart and soul, and varied technique on both the guitar and chip side. It's different than what you normally hear.
edited for gushing

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 2, 2013 12:23 am)

Solid job! You've got a nice, unique vibe going on here.

Montreal, Canada

Killer material there. One of the rare mix of chip and [other instruments] that really works. The highlight is clearly Up In My Jam. Give yourself a good tap on the back and have some cake.

my mom's basement

Gas powered EP! Never runs out of gas!

NC in the US of America

I just wish there was more of this. The last track doesn't really feel like "the end". sad It starts off like an ending, but then at the end it feels like the middle. >_> I dunno what it is... maybe because it doesn't end on the tonic...?

Subliminal programming...

Norway

Thanks all! We both appreciate the feedback very much.

SketchMan3 wrote:

I just wish there was more of this. The last track doesn't really feel like "the end". sad It starts off like an ending, but then at the end it feels like the middle. >_> I dunno what it is... maybe because it doesn't end on the tonic...?

It does indeed have a rather sudden ending, but we wanted to leave the listeners wanting more... if they liked the EP that is smile. It's possible this collaboration will happen again.

Murcia, Spain
Kubbi wrote:

It does indeed have a rather sudden ending, but we wanted to leave the listeners wanting more... if they liked the EP that is smile. It's possible this collaboration will happen again.

Yes, we do want more!

Melbourne, Australia

Freaking awesome man! Up in a Jam is basically what i'd hoped to produce one day! You've blended guitar and chip really, really well (which is rare).
You've inspired me to utilise my 10+ years of guitar playing in some chip too.

NC in the US of America

One thing that sets this apart, I think, is that the mix is really open and clear, rather than being dark and condensed. I don't know if the method of choice (*cough*?renoise?*cough*?) has anything to do with it, but I've noticed that often times when people mix chip with guitar, either everything is all mushed up together so you can barely distinguish what is what, or the chip is really muddy and dark and unprocessed, while the guitar stands out way too much, what with the reverb and the bright-boost, etc, to where the "bit" and the "git" don't even seem to be "listening" to each other, so to speak.

With the chip/electronic elements being mixed so light and bright in this, the guitar sits nicely in the mix, and with more tonal options, and the two just blend perfectly, along with the drums and whatnot.

Thumbs-up to your mix-master-man.

matt's mind

i really agree with this 'nice blend of guitars/etc and chip' sentiment.  its really nicely pulled off.  that blend sounds really forced a lot of the time, its wonderfully blended together into a complete 'thing' here.  i've very much enjoyed this album

Berlin

Great Job man!

Norway

Thanks again, y'all!

SketchMan3 wrote:

One thing that sets this apart, I think, is that the mix is really open and clear, rather than being dark and condensed. I don't know if the method of choice (*cough*?renoise?*cough*?) has anything to do with it, but I've noticed that often times when people mix chip with guitar, either everything is all mushed up together so you can barely distinguish what is what, or the chip is really muddy and dark and unprocessed, while the guitar stands out way too much, what with the reverb and the bright-boost, etc, to where the "bit" and the "git" don't even seem to be "listening" to each other, so to speak.

I did a lot of mixing in Renoise before we recorded the guitars, but most was done in pro-tools 10 because we had way better plug-ins and tools in the studio. Renoise is great for mixing though, as long as you have your own plug-ins.

SketchMan3 wrote:

Thumbs-up to your mix-master-man.

Thanks smile