well, as the title suggests, i'm looking for an old Mac, either a Plus or an SE (SE/30 works). I'm in the Portland, OR, USA area and am just searching for info. if anyone knows of places to look around there for old stuff like that, be it a good will that always has ancient stuff like that, or a good flea market, or any other resource, that would be awesome. alternately, if you or someone you know in that area wants to sell on the cheap, let me know.

I know these computers can go for a couple hundo on ebay, but I don't need this thing to run. it would be cool, great even, but its not necessary.

Brunswick, GA USA

When I lived in the Midwest, we'd go to Ham Radio festivals for things like that- they were flea markets for all manner and age of electronics and you can test for your license there too. My friend scored 2 SE/30s and I collected most of my Commodore gear in that way. It is habit forming and there is a real danger of accumulating way too much worthless stuff, so take care that you don't accidentally un-kid-proof your house.

Another option is checking with people on retrocomputing forums.

Here are a couple I lurk at:
http://www.applefritter.com/forum
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/

What are you planning to do with it?

thanks guys. as for what i plan to do with it, i just really want to muck around on an old mac. i nerd out about old stuff, and there's something so appealing about old macs. my first computer was an SE.

Santa Cruz, California

I have an old spare SE-30.
PM me.

Still looking, if anyone has one they'd part with.

West Yorks, UK

likewise, except based in UK. PM me plz smile

Santa Cruz, California

Additionally, I need a replacement keyboard.
Model #M0116

西安
8bitDAD wrote:

I'm in the Portland, OR, USA area and am just searching for info. if anyone knows of places to look around there for old stuff like that

Sorry, just saw this. I'm from PDX and used to volunteer often at Free Geek. Their little tech shop is often selling cool retro bits 'n pieces, though in the past few years they've transitioned towards mostly older (but not very interesting) PCs running Ubuntu that they sell in the sub-$200 range. I still drop by occasionally to see if anything particularly interesting is kickin' around. Anyway, if you're looking for a genuine "we sell really really old electronics" place, they are it - their business is recycling and repurposing ancient tech, and it's a mostly volunteer-run nonprofit, so there's really no motive for them to charge you anything more than utterly dirt-cheap prices.

*edit* upon looking @ their site...jackpot! I was more right than I thought I was.

Last edited by viciousitaly (May 18, 2013 7:19 pm)

awesome! i'll have to give them a call.