rochester, ny

http://www.patreon.com/

I'm very curious what CM.org will think of this. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel but I set up a personal page to test the waters a bit - http://www.patreon.com/nickmaynard

Matthew Joseph Payne

It seems like an intelligent adaptation of kickstarter to the arts. Most musician kickstarters have never made much sense to me, I think this is a much more sensible setting for a lot of us. I could see doing this by song, by EP, by video, etc. I haven't actually fiddled with it, so I'll be excited to hear what you say, Nick.

I've worked with Jack a bunch in the past and he and all of his projects are totally awesome, so I imagine this will be equally awesome.

Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators. Empowering a new generation of content creators.

NC in the US of America

Looks like a kickstarter video. =S

Edit: Also, it looks interesting/coolish. It reminds me of music appreciation class.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 8, 2013 11:40 pm)

Chicago IL

I thought this was something that had been posted before but then I realized that people keep using this stick figure / dry erase / time lapse thing

buffalo, NY

Not bad, would be interesting if it catches on.

I will probably not be an early adopter

IL, US

sounds very cool.... i may try this to raise some cash for more video software and gear, give donors access to password protected content on vimeo

shanghai

go get a job you bums

IL, US

stfu downstate

shanghai

haha

Definitely looks interesting. I could see it being used as a way to guarantee album sales and keep artists moving with things. Could lead to an all new music sharing model. Good to see people like Jack Conte and Nataly Dawn on there too.

For example, Jack is now getting $1,807 PER VIDEO, even though he'll release them for free anyways, free money is always nice.
http://www.patreon.com/jackconte?u=1

Last edited by Zef (May 9, 2013 7:06 am)

Toronto, Canada

I don't understand why someone would want to automatically give money to someone just because they uploaded something, sight unseen. I understand giving them the money after checking out what it was they uploaded, but that's already easily facilitated by twitters and mailing lists and paypal donate buttons and bandcamp etc. This seems like it would encourage people to upload half-baked stuff just to earn their auto-tips. Content should be evaluated before it is paid for.

NC in the US of America

Isn't that how patronage was back in the olden days, though? They'd put the artist up, and pay them to be artistic?

Nomad's Land

Sounds like a really interesting idea. Will definately be trying it out once they add international payments and/or paypal. The only thing I'm wondering about is: Will there be any significant amount of patrons who actually support small-scale artists like the most of us? Having to become a registered patron isn't exactly as much of a low-level approach as one-click donating a few bucks on bandcamp.

@rainwarrior as far as I understand, you still get to evaluate content before paying, since payments are done once a month, and you can always retract your pledge if you don't like the content.

England

hello please can you send me money so i can sit in my room and smoke weed and make tunes rather than having to get a job thank you xoxo

England

Well, that's how I see most small scale artists using this, although it could be helpful if you need proper studio time or whatever but then would small scale artists be able to get that kind of funding from strangers?

On the other hand, I wouldn't give fucking Radiohead any money to self release a new album either.

Last edited by Jellica (May 9, 2013 10:59 am)