Ok so, when I first create, write, compose what have you, a song, I don't like listening to it. I do like the song itself, but listening to it multiple times makes me, um "queasy" if you will. But after working with some other music for a week or two and going back to listen to the music, I enjoy it much more thoroughly and can listen to it multiple times enjoyably. I call this, as the title suggests the nostalgic effect. I find this to be true with all my music, and even music that isn't my own. Just wondering if this is true for anyone else or if I am just some weird anomaly.

babylon

huh i cant speak for anyone else but im the exact opposite. i'll enjoy what im writing while im doing it and then shortly afterward but then that turns to disgust and eventual deletion.

shanghai

i feel like ahhhhhh grrrrrrrrr ugh my music is inferior to what else is out there, i hate it. i suck. im thoroughly depressed. i want to shoot myself in the ear.
then a week later i feel like
yeah my shits original, i like it. its decent. yeah actually this has a great vibe. wow im so happy....uh whats thats....why my snares are all too loud....why is that synth resonating horribly when it pans
fuck - i hate myself again !

Unsubscribe

What

montreal, qc

i like a song until exactly 24 hours after i stop working on it. then it takes me about 5 years to come back around to liking it / releasing it.

Youngstown, OH

I know something of mine is ready when I'm listening back to it and I start doing other stuff as it loops. Like twenty minutes later I realize I've been listening to the same thing over and over again without stopping abruptly to fix something.

Last edited by sleepytimejesse (May 17, 2013 5:43 am)

UK, Leicester
Downstate wrote:

i feel like ahhhhhh grrrrrrrrr ugh my music is inferior to what else is out there, i hate it. i suck. im thoroughly depressed. i want to shoot myself in the ear.
then a week later i feel like
yeah my shits original, i like it. its decent. yeah actually this has a great vibe. wow im so happy....uh whats thats....why my snares are all too loud....why is that synth resonating horribly when it pans
fuck - i hate myself again !

This, exactly this.

England

when i listen to the same song over and over on a loop changing bits adding bits for hours/days i start to lose all concept of whether is is good or bad.
its nice to share it with irl friends or wait a week before carrying on

Earth
walter b. gentle wrote:

huh i cant speak for anyone else but im the exact opposite. i'll enjoy what im writing while im doing it and then shortly afterward but then that turns to disgust and eventual deletion.

Also what Jellica said

Madison, Alabama

Maybe I'm weird, but I like my old stuff and what I'm currently working on. 

Sometimes I get tired of hearing a song while I'm working on it and take a break though.

Matthew Joseph Payne

I get excited about new music  and then I get tired of it - but it takes a dip before I start really practicing it and playing it over and over, and it develops a second life. Most of the time I realize it never really worked like it should until that second life came around. I'm trying to learn to just wait until that time to even consider recording a tune, but it's hard.

Usually the way I go about writing music is I come up with a short loop that's usually just a few patterns and maybe like 5 to 20 seconds long. Most of my stuff stays like this haha. I'll usually let it sit around a few days until I forget about it then I'll go back and look at it fresh and occasionally tweak things and add stuff. After a fair amount of tweaking I normally have an idea of how I want to structure the song so then I go about doing that. Then more tweaking etc. and then BOOM wow I've got a finished song now I'm gonna let it sit in a folder for a couple of days/weeks/months/years.

If I'm not diggin the short loop so much after a few days, I usually just scrap it and don't expand it, but sometimes I really like one but I can't think of what I want to do with it! It's sometimes frustrating, but hey, art's a struggle right?

Chicago, IL
Jellica wrote:

when i listen to the same song over and over on a loop changing bits adding bits for hours/days i start to lose all concept of whether is is good or bad.
its nice to share it with irl friends or wait a week before carrying on

Either I have this same issue, or I whip out the whole song in 2 exhausting hours where I forget to even relax my arm muscles and I know its a good song…it's like 50%  / 50% , I never know which way its going to be..

NC in the US of America

I'm reading this as "Nostalgeeack" sounds like some kind of mental disorder sad. "I'm a Nostalgiac. I have Nostalgeeuh."

Maybe I'm weird, but I like my old stuff and what I'm currently working on.

Sometimes I get tired of hearing a song while I'm working on it and take a break though.

Yeah, me too.

hardcore, Australia

I only listen to my own music because it's the only thing worth listening to.

Brunswick, GA USA

John Cage has a quote about doing something repeatedly until you don't find it boring anymore. A teacher of mine warned that looping on the sequencer is like this, so it is better to record to tape or write on paper than to hear things repeating until you think your riff is good just because you don't remember what anything else sounds like.

Therefore, when you work on a piece until it grows better, it is not a nostalgia effect, unless you haven't done anything to improve the song. For me, especially in chipmusic when working in a strict format, it is more like sculpting.