YOUR-POST, THOUGHT CHIPTUNE

Milwaukee, WI

Douglas, Wyoming
Alpine wrote:

YOUR-POST, THOUGHT CHIPTUNE

I LIKE GAMEBOY GAME

POKEMON PLAYING AIR GUITAR

Bratislava, Slovakia

Chiptune music is not somewhat waveform (pwm, square, sine etc.) on something else. Most people think that simple waveforms is (in layman's terms) something very cheesy, so they call it bleeps and blops which it associates with 4-bit chipmusic from old 8-bit computers or consoles. Question is what can be entitled as post-chiptune, what is this? If is it software-driven VST instruments which extends some 8-bit behaviour, then it already exists, not?

Brunswick, GA USA
martin_demsky wrote:

Question is what can be entitled as post-chiptune, what is this?

The OP is describing artists who start and stop using the chipmusic/chiptune names selectively, whether they are still making chipmusic or not.

austin, tx not Detroit no mo

Wow, I haven't logged in here for over a year and this is the thread I fell upon.

The word 'chiptune' has become a joke to me.  I like to say 'chipchoon'.

I will always be playing the Commodore VIC-20 during my sets regardless if I'm doing chipmusic, chipchoon, EDM, IDM, bitpop, pop, jizz, assjuke, truchip or fakebit until the last VIC-20 dies and ebay refuses to cough up another one.  That being said, I've learned to quit being uptight about the chipchoon label because the bottom line is getting people out to shows if you're a performer and the scene doesn't seem to give a shit (like any scene) so long as the bar is selling drinks and asks you back.  Denouncing chipchoon is the same as saying "I'm all chipchoon" is the same as MC Chris denouncing nerdcore.   Fuck off.

Abandoned on Fire
TSC wrote:

Brunswick, GA USA

Post Raisin Bran identity, your thoughts?

Philly

Who are all of you people?

Sweden
Monotron wrote:

Kind of like how Unicorn Kid, and Sabrepulse both slowly transitioned into EDM. Anamanaguchi hit on it a lot in their new album as well, I see no harm in it. I guess it could be necessary to make a new genre to establish the difference between the two? Chiptune and nu-chip.

Sure, make a genre.

Monotron wrote:

I say this because even the newer stuff contains a lot of chiptune, just not necessarily pure chiptune. It is sort of an EDM chip blend, which in my book is just fine.

What's pure chiptune? Are chipmusic and EDM ususally mutually exclusive? I'd have guessed that the two very vague and broad terms wouldn't necessarily impose on eachother. You don't "blend" with EDM, either it's electronic dance music or it isn't. Having performed chipmusic live a load of times, I can say that whatever you play could easily classify as electronic dance music.

Monotron wrote:

I think genre doesn't really matter as long as the music is good.

In what sense exactly doesn't the genre matter? In any sense?

austin, tx not Detroit no mo

I still advocate that 'chip music' is music played back from an audio chip and 'chipchoon' is a bunch of goofy fools who like underproduced techno.

UK, Leicester
b-knox wrote:

I still advocate that 'chip music' is music played back from an audio chip and 'chipchoon' is a bunch of goofy fools who like underproduced techno.

I like what this man is saying