New Albany Indiana

I think the main reason why any one would do this is so they can get more plays quicker, if they have a pretty good standing in the chip  community and people know them, then they'll just put like a mario sound in a song so they are able to share it on this website.

Douglas, Wyoming
4mat wrote:

stop calling things 'fakebit'

I really have no other word for it to be honest, I don't know what else to call it

Youngstown, OH
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:
4mat wrote:

http://eqavox.bandcamp.com/album/fake-bit

http://ubiktune.com/releases/ubi039-maxo-fakebit-2010

Earth
Monotron wrote:
4mat wrote:

I really have no other word for it to be honest, I don't know what else to call it

No one else is recognizing the distinction between fakebit and regularbit.

Gosford, Australia
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:
4mat wrote:

http://eqavox.bandcamp.com/album/fake-bit

haha, perfect

Ciudad de méxico, MX

When I was a chiptune only artist, I pushed myself to do only chiptune. It was good, for a while.

but now when I create I think on a determinate idea or set of sounds, not need to limit myself to a certain media o genre.

Part of a proccess I guess.

liveplay and daw sequencing/mixing is much more effortless in comparison, which arguably makes the musical process more intuitive. objectively, sampling is the more efficient way to go about achieving the chippy aesthetic sound. this is why people MakeTheSwitch or just stay away from trackers in general.

fakebit hate and the general truchip pride in general comes from people just being pissed off when they realize that other people get recognition for comparatively less work. aka, it's not fair that obsolete craftsmanship gets little praise outside of an immediate chiptune community.

Abandoned on Fire
gyms wrote:

obsolete craftsmanship gets little praise outside of an immediate chiptune community.

That hits the nail right on the head!  Extremely well put.

Brazil

What's the average age around chipmusicians? mid 20's? I grew up listening to OSTs while I was playing and even those are a specific genre (Streets of Rage and Sonic are totally different styles, ie). But I also grew up listening to synthpop, punk, post-punk, etc.

I guess the bitterness that arise from time to time is not about craftsmanship and more about "I do better music with my C64 than this little prick with ableton, why they are getting this attention?".

Surely what bums me and must bums someone out there is that people just drop it, instead of using the knowledge to do some really cutting edge pop stuff. I must say, after i've read an article about Anamanaguchi I started to see some sutff differently. We are all learning about limitations and putting those to practice, but the real stuff is when we can use this knowledge of limitation to make something big, something different using those chip sounds. Hell, you don't even need to sell out, but now I see no evil using "modern" software to make songs that will endure.

We recoil to get stronger, then rampage towards the bigger picture.

Earth
gyms wrote:

liveplay and daw sequencing/mixing is much more effortless in comparison, which arguably makes the musical process more intuitive. objectively, sampling is the more efficient way to go about achieving the chippy aesthetic sound.

How have you objectively established the efficiency of achieving something which can only be evaluated subjectivly? But yeah most people seem to find modern software more inuitive. Personally if I can't change parameters of the sound being generated at composition-time, it kind of irks me. (so I only like sampling live composition sessions, mostly)

gyms wrote:

fakebit hate and the general truchip pride in general comes from people just being pissed off when they realize that other people get recognition for comparatively less work. aka, it's not fair that obsolete craftsmanship gets little praise outside of an immediate chiptune community.

I don't know where it comes from. I do think that a lot of us find beauty in the process of making music, and it has nothing to do with pride or hate.

Last edited by breakphase (May 22, 2013 10:24 pm)

essentially, a real human performance is still what people identify with when it comes to music. pure chipmusic, there is arguably no human element and i think this affects the perceptions of it at a base, instinctual level. people doing fakebit concerts, mashing random buttons on their apc-40 at least appear to be interacting with the music in some way. even moreso than a kid with a gameboy.

and 'chipsounds' have been done before, look at what moog did. his synths were all about the simplest waveforms and manipulating them with envelopes and filters. the moog sound starting to become really popular once it generally moved away from arpeggiators/sequencers and more people started directly controlling it with a keyboard(real, live interaction and performance). these original 'chipsounds' touch just about every type of music now.

truchip is struggling to break out becuase the true human interaction is missing, at least fakebit can offer a little of this. i just wish people would start playing the fucking keyboard and stop having hand spasms over an apc-40.

edit:

@breakphase, "How have you objectively established the efficiency of achieving something which can only be evaluated subjectivly?"

i don't think evaluating efficiency based on average time consumption is subjective. it takes more time to go through a tracker and set volume level per note than to simply move a fader. it takes more time to make same-channel echo than it does to slap a reverb or delay vst on a track and mess with the wet/dry settings. it takes more time to figure out how to incorporate a five instrument arrangement into two pulses and a triangle, when there is no limit with DAWs and sampling. learning how to be efficient and intuitive with a tracker is, on average, a terribly time consuming chore for most people.

hey editx2:

would like to point out, if it wasn't already obvious, that this HumanElement is why bands like anamanguchi are so popular. it's why j. arthur probably had one of the best live gameboy shows. there are other instruments being played by ActualHumanHands(or use of voice!), which people can connect with.

but hey, at the same time this becomes fakebit or something

Last edited by gyms (May 22, 2013 10:50 pm)

Chicago

All of the above.
if you want to connect to the average person, odds are you need to present something that they understand immediately.

Chicago

That goes for any genre.
chiptune has a hard time with that becuase in its raw form there isnt much people can connect to.
For some, this is where the "fake" comes in

Gosford, Australia

ha, it seems to me like nobody is really worried about fake/trve chip distinctions, and the term "fakebit" only comes up when someone thinks that someone else has complained about it

Douglas, Wyoming
Victory Road wrote:

ha, it seems to me like nobody is really worried about fake/trve chip distinctions, and the term "fakebit" only comes up when someone thinks that someone else has complained about it

Oopsidasie

Victory Road wrote:

well, the thread's topic is "post-chiptune artist identity. your thoughts?". i'm not really familiar with 'post-chiptune' as a term, but what i've gathered from context it that it's synonymous with the idea of fakebit.

in the original post, "quite a few who were previously involved with the scene and "proper chiptune"* that have now "quit chiptune" or simply transitioned into other genres (mostly some form or another of EDM) still label themselves as "chiptune", do chip shows, etc., and generally carry on in a chiptune fashion despite supposedly being beyond all that."

it's kind of inevitable the conversation would drift into this eventually, lol