shanghai

im gonna break rules to call this thread out as 'the _______ thread ever'.

Last edited by Downstate (May 21, 2013 3:54 am)

Gosford, Australia

happiest!

Brunswick, GA USA
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

we have played a few cons recently, and I've been thinking a lot about the parallels between that "scene", VGM bands etc, and chiptune. both are things that to an uninitiated outsider could seem extremely lame, and both have their fair share of unabashed pandering and terribleness, but also some really incredible artistry that has risen to the surface, found success, and even started to break out into the mainstream.

That's why I don't see any difference between chipmusic (as a scene, not as a music) and any other nerdy fandom, except for the subject of fetish and level of perversion.

Douglas, Wyoming

I swear I see the "What defines real chip/posers suck" thread every single week. Does it really matter how they made it as long as it's good? Who cares if they're using the "chipmusic name" the way I see it it opens up chipmusic to a lot more people which despite grumpy hipsters is a good thing. I don't see why just because they do hybrid stuff that they have to be labeled as "posers" when they were once a lot of people's here jam. They don't stop being good, they just change. Change is healthy and natural in a music community don't be so close minded I've heard a lot of "fakebit" that trumps true blue chip.

Gosford, Australia

nobody is saying that though
actually you're the first person in the whole discussion to mention posers or fakebit

Gosford, Australia

x2post

Last edited by Victory Road (May 21, 2013 5:51 am)

vancouver, canada

stop talking everyone, i can't write music amidst all this chatter.

shanghai

change the subject to something never discussed all the god damn time
liek
so whats your view on the whole hardware v software thing
i can make good music on soft synths
but id be famous if id made all the same music on hardwares
because people would feel the ANALOGUE WARMTH

Gosford, Australia

m8 analog dosent even compress its just siense yea

Douglas, Wyoming

rabble rabble rabble
grump grump grump
I post what I want
butts
And I was referencing fakebit because many of the unspoken artists seeming to be mentioned here seem to be using a fakebit hybrid style and the poser was in reference to everyone saying "they use the chiptune name for their shows when it's not chiptune" and I would say that can be summed up as poser. And isn't that what the original discussion is all about, people holding 'chiptune' shows while not using hardware or using sounds that seem chippy (fakebit) which makes them seem like they're using it as a gimmik (poser).

You see what I'm saying here or is what I'm saying just completely lost in translation?

Eh I quit, I don't know why I post in the forums anymore. I'll just stick to listening/posting music and stuff.

Last edited by Monotron (May 22, 2013 4:00 am)

Gosford, Australia

i can see how you came to that conclusion, but it's more about how the chipmusic identity persists for people who move from "authentic" chip music (including "fakebit") to general electronic music.

it's still just another silly meta-discussion though, so you shouldn't feel shunned or unwanted!

Douglas, Wyoming
Victory Road wrote:

i can see how you came to that conclusion, but it's more about how the chipmusic identity persists for people who move from "authentic" chip music (including "fakebit") to general electronic music.

it's still just another silly meta-discussion though, so you shouldn't feel shunned or unwanted!

I've just been having one heck of a grumpy evening, so don't let my grumpiness be taken personally smile

Youngstown, OH

I'm gonna go ahead and call chiptune the cutting room floor of electronic music.

I think grindstone also works.

stop calling things 'fakebit'

England

are you and george going to be posting things together again?

Nottingham, UK
4mat wrote:

stop calling things 'fakebit'

http://eqavox.bandcamp.com/album/fake-bit