babylon

i like it when artist are super chip influenced and make no effort to be a part of / associated with the chip community on any level. slugabed comes to mind.

I thing Chipmusic makers like ourselves often deal with some form of Elitist Ego complex where we always want to prove that Chipmusic is in all ways "Just as good" as other music. This is where most people run into problems because chipmusic, (almost by definition, ex. GB is 4-bit sound) is LOWER QUALITY(fidelity?/resolution?) AUDIO than the public is used to listening to.

We have all gotten past this as something to be expected; but the fact still stands that the majority of the public is used to high quality/fidelity.

This is the reason you'll find little (see:none) pure chipmusic on a site like OCRemix, because having high fidelity sound is one of their standards. It doesn't insult chipmusic to say so, because these are the limitations within which we've chosen to abide. But we must recognize that it does mean that a large factor of what the modern public looks for in their music is MISSING from chipmusic.

TL;DR = The public is often put-off by how low-fidelity (lacking in complex textures and timbres) chipmusic is. This says nothing about the composition, arrangement, programming, or even mastering of said chipmusic, but it does still affect how people perceive it.

Also let it be known that in most cases I support OCRemix in their decision to pass by on chipmusic remixes, because OCRemix really isn't our niche.

Last edited by Zef (May 21, 2013 2:09 am)

BOSTON
herr_prof wrote:

I don't really want to be part of a community that values process over results

big words form mr. "true chip till death" wink wink wink

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

I don't really want to be part of a community that values process over results

I've thought this every time someone trashes someone who puts out a killer song but uses auto-tune to do it. I don't care how they got there if the song ends up being awesome.

hey integrity is important. everyone is all secretly pissed off because there isn't enough of it.

BOSTON

seriously though, my intent with this wasnt to rag on post-chip (hell, I'm post-chip!), but I think something holding the music back is that so much creative energy focuses on "doing the chipscene" rather than doing your own thing, to the extent that even many people "not making chipmusic"* are still trying hard to "do the chipscene". but as herr_prof mentions, it's not like the world is salivating for the next chip dj. why not just do what you do instead of trying to label yourself something?

in my opinion, the artists that are having the most impact (and success)  are the ones who forage out on their own, rather than fighting for the same old scraps.

I hope this clarifies at least MY intentions some. to be honest, I've really enjoyed reading through the discussions over the last few pages. it's exactly the sort of thing that I was hoping to stir up.

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

as herr_prof mentions, it's not like the world is salivating for the next chip dj. why not just do what you do instead of trying to label yourself something?

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

(hell, I'm post-chip!)

lol, just sayin

BOSTON

oops, I left these here: ""

XD

barf

show of hands who here's written a fugue

Brunswick, GA USA
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

I hope this clarifies at least MY intentions some.

A little bit, but it relates to the conclusions of all the other versions of this discussion; a lot of the obvious and no real solutions, probably because there aren't any.

barf

bitpuritans 2013 The Actual Music Is Coming

kfaraday wrote:

show of hands who here's written a fugue

fugue writing tips and tricks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2JFgfc7c70

Unsubscribe
SketchMan3 wrote:

Edit: herr_prof, do you really think the scene as a majority values process over result? Maybe it's just a vocal minority.

I dont think this forum comes close to representing the scene as a whole.

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

If anyone got that my intent from the blog was to promote a chip hegemony, Im glad i stopped doing it.

My hope is that people only got a killer feed of awesome things in my tenure, and my sincere hope is that someone would take up the torch again.

NC in the US of America
herr_prof wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

Edit: herr_prof, do you really think the scene as a majority values process over result? Maybe it's just a vocal minority.

I dont think this forum comes close to representing the scene as a whole.

Okay. Yeah. My bad, I misread your "community" as "scene". =`_`=

kfaraday: the fugue writing process is too restricting. I'd much rather write a concerto with fugue elements, because fugue is a really cool sound, but I'd like to do more with it.

Edit: I understood what TCTD was about. It took me a bit, though. At first I honestly did think it was a puritanical type thing.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 21, 2013 2:53 am)

BOSTON

agreed! clearly there cant be "a conclusion", but it is interesting (for me at least) to hear people's thoughts on the subject.

we have played a few cons recently, and I've been thinking a lot about the parallels between that "scene", VGM bands etc, and chiptune. both are things that to an uninitiated outsider could seem extremely lame, and both have their fair share of unabashed pandering and terribleness, but also some really incredible artistry that has risen to the surface, found success, and even started to break out into the mainstream.

what both scenes provide is a sort of talent incubator: people that are willing to stand around and listen to artists who are finding themselves (and many who never will) solely for the sake of some vague cultural relation: use of niche old hardware, some sort of aesthetic, video game references, or in some cases just general nerd solidarity. and every artist WANTS that, right? the ability to get feedback from who they perceive to be "their people".

so I completely understand why it IS important to have "an identity" rather than just some hippy dippy notions of "just do your thing bro". in fact I would posit that its almost impossible to gain any traction without one that is fairly broad. but it's not something that can be forced either.

EDIT: whoa lots of posts between replying! this was to be chronologically in response to chunter

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (May 21, 2013 3:03 am)

Gosford, Australia

i'm just gonna make the music that i want to make until i'm dead