Berlin, Germany

Hey all,

I want to build an Arduinoboy, but I know little about Arduino. Most places specify the Arduino Uno, but there seem to be several versions of these.  Should I be looking for a specific one, or are the differences little enough that it doesn't matter?

Can anyone point me to the most straightforward tutorial?

Cheers....

clovis CA

nope, all othe them use an atmega328, but im not sure if that much space is required for the arduinoboy. people use the arduino pro mini because of its micro form factor, and its great for shoving in gameboys, but unos are good if thats all you have and you want to fiddle smile and the tutorial, i believe theres one on instructables from scienceguy08 here

Berlin, Germany

Ok. Great. Thanks, maybe ill start with the UNO and then try the pro mini. The. Tutorial looks good, but its not for the mini. Is there a big difference between building the two?

Berlin, Germany

I also found some pro mini copies on eBay from china. Though the call them 'pro mini enhancements'. Would these things be suitable, or you'll you recommend buying the real deal?

Thanks again!

matt's mind

there is a noticeable quality difference in the cheaper arduino board clones from china.  at least in my experience.

Berlin, Germany

In what respect.  Their performance is unreliable?

sweden

You get what you pay for.

Milwaukee, WI

I've experienced pad lifting when soldering on cheaper units fwiw.

clovis CA
TSC wrote:

I've experienced pad lifting when soldering on cheaper units fwiw.

this
i bought about 10 from ebay, and the first 2 did this, so i wound up soldering headers on them super quickly
also, protoboard from china... its only pcb with pieces of foil halfway glued with a cheap glue stick xD
all jokes aside though, you do get what you pay for. stick to american parts

Berlin, Germany

OK, I guess I'll stick with originals.  I have had the same problems with cheap perfboard from china before...

What difference does the crystal speed make...?

washington
nordloef wrote:

You get what you pay for.

Chicago IL
Alley Beach wrote:

you do get what you pay for. stick to american parts

I think this is the first time anything has been said about this as far as american made things go

also aren't arduino's italian?

matt's mind

yep, there is a sticker slapped on each one about how they are made/designed/assembled in italy.  the 'legit' ones at least.  maybe they've dropped the sticker, but the italian thing was very important to them for a while

shanghai

i live in china
dont buy anything from here
its all sub-par shit
thats why we specifically buy our electronics online and make sure they're made in Japan
or we road trip to hong kong.

Taichung, Taiwan
Downstate wrote:

i live in china
dont buy anything from here
its all sub-par shit
thats why we specifically buy our electronics online and make sure they're made in Japan
or we road trip to hong kong.

Road Trip!!!!