BOSTON

Talks about Guch, Henry Homesweet, I Fight Dragons, etc. GJ dudes!

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c … ptune.html

Unsubscribe

I liked it too, nice to see someone who is genuinely excited about something new.

Chiptune is a *genre* of *pop music*

Oh, people here are going to love this one.

Interesting article though, I enjoyed reading through it, but I'm not really sure if he's making any kind of statement with it.

BOSTON
Zef wrote:

heh heh, works for meeeee

anyway i *love* these articles (and there have been quite a few!) because for a brief moment in time, people stop the "were so misunderstood and niche bawwww" chatter and realize how cool this all is.

then start back up with it again in a week or so of course XD

NC in the US of America
Zef wrote:

Interesting article though, I enjoyed reading through it, but I'm not really sure if he's making any kind of statement with it.

He kind of corrects that statement in the next paragraph:

There were artists who canted toward electronica, and others who canted toward acoustica, and others who canted toward industrial, and others who canted toward novelty.

So it shouldn't be that bad.

haha, i was thrown off when he wrote out "eight-bit"..

Unsubscribe

Someone forgot to reference the 8P Style guide.

Washington DC

Dope.

shanghai

nice that although its generally a kind of review of ananananamamama's new record, he takes the time to talk about more artists.

some great stuff has come out over the last few years for sure. I feel like alot of it is so dope i can just play it to people as music. not specifically chiptune. Monster Vision/ C-trix / Ralp / Monodeer come to mind, and the last few years of homesweet shizzle is pure gold.  The same as the guch. I would just play them to people as a pop/rock band - not making a point of 'the 8 bits. I think its great that music like this is out there because it helps to clear up the mis interpretation that chiptune = gameboy trance music. And leads to pretty decent articles like this one. okay he mentioned mario once, but i 'll let him off haha

herr_prof wrote:

I liked it too, nice to see someone who is genuinely excited about something new.

k, serious question: when does chipmusic stop being new? 'Cause my first reaction to this is "new... really?" but maybe that's just me, or my inability to juggle inside/outside perspectives of the scene or however you wanna put it...

edit:or do things stop being new ever...?

Last edited by Battle Lava (May 22, 2013 4:27 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

I don't recall anything new being mentioned in the article though it is refreshing to see "I tried this before, didn't like it, then tried again and saw what I missed out on." The number of music reviews I've read that admitted something like this is now 1.

There is a quote, or maybe just a fable, about a baseball player explaining that he always tries to play his best, even if a game is apparently meaningless, in case someone in the audience had never seen him play before.

Last edited by chunter (May 22, 2013 5:10 pm)

Unsubscribe
Battle Lava wrote:

k, serious question: when does chipmusic stop being new?

When people stop being born i guess.

New Albany Indiana

Chiptune is a genre of pop music that uses eight-bit sounds

orange county, CA

Every time i see this post i thing it's about skating.

New Albany Indiana

Glad to see some she love.

Douglas, Wyoming
Bit wish wrote:

Glad to see some she love.

This