How do i make one on the noise channel?
(sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, i searched around the forums and i coudn't find anything)

NC in the US of America

I've been trying (not very hard) to do this too. I ended up going for more of a ride-bell sound. The best I got was to have a beep on the attack and then let it decay into a light open hihat type sound. I imagine you'd want more "tone" in your ride cymbal than a hi-hat would have, either that or, how I did it, with a really light staticky sound.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 21, 2013 9:50 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

You can give the noise a soft sustain and cut it at will, but the decay and click in the attack are key to the illusion. Ring mod bell tones can be blended in for more realism but in a mix it's not important.

Not sure what a ride is anymore.
Top of my head: note C3 - envellop EA1 - command RF3

Gosford, Australia

it's hard to get the right tonal noise sound on the gameboy imo

use a strong, fast attack with a low sustain level. also if your "hi hats" are panned one way you can pan the ride the other way and it'll sound more like a ride (trust me on this)

Last edited by Victory Road (May 22, 2013 5:21 am)

NC in the US of America
Victory Road wrote:

it's hard to get the right tonal noise sound on the gameboy imo

use a strong, fast attack with a low sustain level. also if your "hi hats" are panned one way you can pan the ride the other way and it'll sound more like a ride (trust me on this)

Haha, yeah, man. That's exactly what I did. big_smile I actually panned my hi hats specifically so I could pan the ride in the opposite side.

I feel like creating a strong contrast between your open hi hat sound and your ride sound would help. That way when the ride comes in the average listener will be able to recognize the change even if it doesn't sound exactly like a ride.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 22, 2013 5:30 am)

Gosford, Australia

yeah definitely! i try to have all my cymbal-ey sounds as unique from one another as possible.

thanks guys :3