California, USA

I'm relatively new to making chiptune but I've been thinking about live setups and such. What effects, if any, do you guys use live and how do you use them?

Last edited by Dark Oyster (May 23, 2013 6:02 am)

vancouver, canada

my current live setup consists of an instance of ableton live which piles on a chain of software DSP effects onto the incoming audio interface input where my game boys / DS / whatever else is hooked up.   the effects are controlled by an AKAI LPD8 (8 pads and 8 knobs);  each pad is used to toggle on/off one of the software effects in my DSP chain.  the knobs are mapped to whatever parameters i fancy at the time.

typically, i only make use of a small handful of effects, in the following order:
- a general EQ
- a filter for boosting low bass frequencies, which i can toggle whenever i feel my song needs an extra momentary oomph
- a high-pass filter set to control cutoff and amount (i've found that low-pass filters seem to just kill the mood of the venue for some reason)
- a flanger/phaser
- a reverb

i'm sure you can go crazy with whatever other effects you manage to find, depending on how you want to present your music.  i personally don't like to mangle or obfuscate the minute details that i shove into my tunes, so, i keep things simple.

if you don't have access to any of the software/equipment above, i've seen many people get quite a lot of use out of a kaoss pad or a KP-mini.  the newest KP-minis (not even the older rectangular ones) would be a good gateway if you just want a simple yet versatile effector.

Brunswick, GA USA

A rig like Dan Deacon's is okay.

Distortions are relatively inexpensive as a start.

Chicago IL

I run my stuff through ableton. beat chopping vsts mostly

Holland

No effects.

Finland

Mostly just some sort of delay hooked to one synth, been using Behringers cheapo digidelay, and Monotron Delay, which is fucking awesome. Otherwise, nope (since I dont use effects on recorded tracks that much).

shanghai

my computers shit. i turn on my wi-fi mid set so when im in ableton the glitches come organically. PUNK

shanghai

but yes. effects make it more interesting in seriousness. just dont over do it. there is NOTHING more annoying than a dude putting beat repeat / freeze fill ins at the end of every single bar. used sparingly though the effects can make your set much more effective.

Sweden

I use one of the small kaoss pads. It has a bunch of effects that you control with an XY touch pad. For delay, for example, the time would be mapped to the x axis and feedback amount to the y axis. It's good because it's the only way I can really interact with my chipmusic live -- it's all straight renders from trackers and I can't really play keyboards in the style I compose. It's very effective, too! For me, it's the difference between some idiot dancing to his mp3s and some idiot playing on stage.

Turku, FIN

Been using Mini-KP's for few years. Decent sounds in compact package, perfect for me!

Tape echo and some reverb big_smile
here and there some distortion, fun when emulating a 303 on a commodore.

Sometimes I play around with some other effects, I've got one of those Alesis AirFX, which is fun, but not really helpful.

But I really like my tape echo. The tape is quite old, and basic waveforms like square sound completely different when echo'd.

Unsubscribe

eventide timefactor on the aux send for everyone, esoniq dp/2 for vox and shruthi-1 direct. Guitar is adrenalinn3 and a line6 m5.

Serbia,Belgrade

how is distorsion pedal when it's used with gameboys.Anyone got sound tests or a video?

NC in the US of America
Imnikola wrote:

how is distorsion pedal when it's used with gameboys.Anyone got sound tests or a video?

I've seen some on youtube. Don't really have a link, but if you feel like it you may be able to find it before somebody else posts with an actual link.

IL, US
Imnikola wrote:

not sure if i ever uploaded sets with game boy and distortion, but this album is all piggy/midines through distortion http://datathrash.bandcamp.com/album/in … of-the-pig

California, USA
e.s.c. wrote:
Imnikola wrote:

not sure if i ever uploaded sets with game boy and distortion, but this album is all piggy/midines through distortion http://datathrash.bandcamp.com/album/in … of-the-pig

Oh wow, that is brutal.