KC

Hey anyone know of some good apps (preferably free) that have good ear training/theory lessons & excercises for android?

Not sure about any apps, but I'd recommend finding a book(!) for the theory part. Something physical that you can quickly reference when needed.

Do you play an instrument? It will be easier to learn theory if you've already got some ability on an instrument. I learned as a guitarist but I'd say piano is the easiest way to get theory down, all the steps in each octave are the same distance and you can play around with intervals much more easily. A cheap keyboard would do the trick.

Ear training I'm not sure about. Over time you'll be able to pick out common progressions and intervals, but developing something like perfect pitch requires a lot of dedicated practice. It depends on how far you want to take it.

I can definitely recommend trying to sing a melody, and then picking it out on a keyboard. Just doing that will get you pretty far for figuring out most single note lines, although it won't be as helpful for chords.

Last edited by Vaina Moinen (May 23, 2013 9:35 pm)

Alive and well in fucksville

do you have lsdj? you could punch all of the ascending/ descending intervals in and read them off a chart you make as they play. it takes 17 times to memorize something. what the theory teacher did at the college i went to was find songs that have each interval. minor second is like the scarey music in that shrak movie jaws...
try ricci adams' musictheory.net too

Last edited by bitjacker (May 23, 2013 9:46 pm)

Douglas, Wyoming

If they have "Jamn" for android get it

'Music Theory - Chords in Keys' is a great little music theory app for Android. It trains you to learn all the basic chords in all the major keys, very handy!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ordsInKeys

Last edited by Tweeky99 (Jul 18, 2013 11:06 pm)

when i was like 14 or so i got the "music theory for dummies" book that included an ear training cd w it.. it really helped. check ur library

edit: fail.. just realized u were asking for apps, not just resources in general. my bad

Last edited by defPREMIUM (Jul 18, 2013 11:19 pm)

Youngstown, OH

Whatever you do, don't go to music school.

if u pay me $30/hr i will sit there and whistle intervals to u and punch u in the face when u name them incorrectly. u will learn fast.

me: *whistle whistle*
u: yea that's an augmented fou-
me: *POW* DIMINISHED FIFTH SUCKA
u: THEY'RE THE SAME THI-
me: *POW* DO I LOOK LIKE I CARE

u will learn fast

sleepytimejesse wrote:

Whatever you do, don't go to music school.

Zing!

Chicago IL

just play all the notes until it sounds good

Los Angeles, CA

There are plenty of free piano apps probably.  Good for ear training an music theory.

KC

I know chords pretty well imma piano player but I was thinking something more along the lines of ear training and advanced theory

"Perfect Ear" is great! You can also get "Perfect Ear Pro" which has a couple extra features for a dollar or two.

KC
Saskrotch wrote:

just play all the notes until it sounds good

yeah I know that method. it's really slow though.

the better your ears are and the more theory you know the faster you can write.

Chicago, IL

Tenuto is pretty good I hear for Iphone

KC

Yeah I like that one alot but you can't get it on android.

I use it when im sitting at the comp sometimes.