California, USA

What do you guys like to do when recording LSDJ? Do you do any mastering or do you just take straight sound from the gameboy?

New Albany Indiana

Strait sound.

buffalo, NY

I just applied some mastering to my straight Gameboy sound for my first record. The 2nd one all the channels were isolated, realigned, and then mixed AND mastered

New Albany Indiana

I record each channel separate, then put them together, about it.

BOSTON

this is going to sound douchy, but what people are talking about 99.999% of the time when they say "mastering" is... just mixing.

mixing. dont be afraid of the word.

shanghai

well not really.......im pretty sure most of us know the difference you douche : P
mixing surely would be recording the channels seperato and putting them in some sort of DAW - did mine in ableton
mastering then is brickwalling the exported wave file from above DAW in Izotope.

am i doing this right ?

New Albany Indiana
Downstate wrote:

well not really.......im pretty sure most of us know the difference you douche : P
mixing surely would be recording the channels seperato and putting them in some sort of DAW - did mine in ableton
mastering then is brickwalling the exported wave file from above DAW in Izotope.

am i doing this right ?

So based off of what i know, mastering would be like adding effects and crap to the sound, right?

hardcore, Australia

I wish I could make jokes about mastering but I haven't released anything in so long as godinpants that the jokes would be meaningless.

México, DF.

Yeah, each channel isolated, clean the most out of the white noise and mix everything again. Mastering is for Masters, so I don't feel confident enough to do that.

sweden
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

this is going to sound douchy, but what people are talking about 99.999% of the time when they say "mastering" is... just mixing.

This.

NC in the US of America
nordloef wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

This.

And of course nobody is going to actually compare and contrast the two terms (or properly define them). tongue

Let me see if I've got this right before I go off to wikipedia:

Mixing = Balancing frequencies, levels, etc of multiple tracks in an audio production and combining them, making sure everything sounds nice together.

Mastering = Adjusting (compressing, limiting, normalizing,etc) the final mix of the audio production so it sounds nice on playback devices, and storing this in a format from which all other copies will be recorded. For the poor man, I suppose that would be your (my) song.aup tongue

Re-Mastering = Going back to the final mix and recording it to a new a better quality format and creating a new Master from which all new copies will be recorded.

Wait... are remastered productions also usually remixed?

And now, so there is no more confusion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_mastering#Process
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_mixi … ded_music)

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 3, 2013 8:21 am)

Nottingham, UK

Now I've started using grooves a lot its harder to align individual tracks for mixing, so I've been practicing just making it sound as good as possible on the hardware and recording straight. It's something you should probably do anyway, but I occasionally find myself being lazy about things if I think can sort them out later on. A tiny bit of reverb never hurt anyone.

The actual, compression aspect of mastering can feel a bit redundant when gameboys have such naturally limited dynamics.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jun 3, 2013 10:18 am)

If you're releasing streaming files (which 99% of the chip scene are) you might as well master them. There's hardly anybody doing music disks outside the demo scene.

Finland

So far most of my chiptunes have been raw output. On some tracks I may add a slight, *slight* reverb. It's not often noticeable at all, but I think it gives it a little more "softness".

My general thinking is: if the track sounds good raw, no need to make more of it. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. wink

New Albany Indiana
my.Explosion wrote:

So far most of my chiptunes have been raw output. On some tracks I may add a slight, *slight* reverb. It's not often noticeable at all, but I think it gives it a little more "softness".

My general thinking is: if the track sounds good raw, no need to make more of it. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. wink

My general thoughts also.

Playboy Man-Baby
my.Explosion wrote:

Some sorts of tracks generally just seem to do better raw, too. Crazy noisy chipthrash shit, etc.