California

so i bought this backlit dmg off ebay and the light was horribly installed.  I tried to remove the light and it this wire just came off.....

so my question is: does anyone know who makes these types of backlights so I can ask if the these 3 wires alone will make the light work?

thankksssss

Last edited by AuburnKitsune (Jun 5, 2013 11:47 pm)

Chicago IL

it looks like an RGBbb but i'm probably wrong

matt's mind

yeah, looks like an rgbbb,

the common wire (the white one) has fallen off so without it the backlight won't work,

i was going to ask you to just PM me but this info might help others, but basically if you can remove the epoxy material you can somewhat easily remove the PCB which holds the LEDs and fix this.  if you peel up the optical films from the light guide you'll find there is a little cavity in it which holds the PCB in place, you can lift it out with it exposed, fix it, and put it back in.  and it'll be essentially like new.

if you happen to crease your film at all doing this, when peeling it up to get to the PCB, we sell spare sheets of it so just get in touch and i'll point you that way

and, if you need to replace the adhesive strip along the bottom, the thin double-sided tape is functionally the same, just cut it into a thin strip

matt's mind

also, maybe wear latex/nitrile gloves doing this to avoid fingerprints? 

if there is any dust caught up in this, the canned air is the best thing to get it removed (no humidity, etc)

scotch tape to lift dust has really come in handy for tricky pieces too

California

awesome. just what i needed. thanks Kitsch!

matt's mind

very welcome, hope it helps others!  (the backlights are sort of hackable if you just jump into them and ain't skeered)