So, I have never seen someone trying to use the EL_DMG in a game boy Pocket, so I was wondering whether it is because it is not possible, or due to the risk of ruining the MGB LCD.

Do you guys think that it is possible to do that?

Do you think a MGB with the EL_DMG will be like a Game boy Light when turned on?

Thanks!

matt's mind

yes, its totally possible, and it looks remarkably like a Light

i sort of think i might have posted pics in my update thread someone sent in of their pocket EL mod,

or perhaps they will see this post and share them here?  its slipping my mind who they were

but, in short.  yes and yes.

I just ordered the EL_DMG that I will be installing in my GB Pocket I use for writing.  Unless someone beats me to the punch, I'll upload pictures as soon as I install it.

onapokoya wrote:

I just ordered the EL_DMG that I will be installing in my GB Pocket I use for writing.  Unless someone beats me to the punch, I'll upload pictures as soon as I install it.

Perfect, that sounds great!, I will be looking forward to see the final results.

BTW, what color of MGB are you going to use, red, green, clear, black?

Thanks!

Little delay but finally got it installed.  Apparently killed a line of pixels during install but it works and this is my personal writing unit so I don't really care to attempt to fix it.  Sorry about the bad picture.

Last edited by onapokoya (Jun 28, 2013 7:15 pm)

(219) Indiana, USA

Good job on this! I really like the paint job and buttons big_smile.

onapokoya wrote:

Little delay but finally got it installed.  Apparently killed a line of pixels during install but it works and this is my personal writing unit so I don't really care to attempt to fix it.  Sorry about the bad picture.

Looks awesome.

Was it hard to install?, I will do mine today, Any tips you can give me or advise?

BTW, How did you avoid the EL_DMG cables messing up with the ribbon cable of the LCD?

Thanks man, really like the finally results on tha MGB smile

Turn the panel so the wires go out the right side of the LCD and trim away the plastic from the shell around the LCD so the wires can pass through unobstructed.  Also, be very careful with the metal pads where the wires connect.  I actually broke my first panel and had to reorder a new one from kitsch (hence the delay).  What I did to be careful was I grabbed the wire with a pair of needle nose pliers near the metal pads and held the connection very straight then bent the wires at the black heat shrink part so it would fit into the shell.  Also, the panel has to be slid all the way over so the side with the wires is touching the side with plastic surrounding the LCD.  then just tape it down to the ribbon cable.

onapokoya wrote:

Turn the panel so the wires go out the right side of the LCD and trim away the plastic from the shell around the LCD so the wires can pass through unobstructed.  Also, be very careful with the metal pads where the wires connect.  I actually broke my first panel and had to reorder a new one from kitsch (hence the delay).  What I did to be careful was I grabbed the wire with a pair of needle nose pliers near the metal pads and held the connection very straight then bent the wires at the black heat shrink part so it would fit into the shell.  Also, the panel has to be slid all the way over so the side with the wires is touching the side with plastic surrounding the LCD.  then just tape it down to the ribbon cable.

Thanks a lot, so if the cables get disconnected from the metal pads they cannot be attached again with a little solder?

I tried that and it didn't work but I read somewhere else that someone used tape somehow to fix it.  Either way, learn from my mistake and take it easy the first time.  It's not a hard install.  Just have to be careful.

I finish mine today, pretty nice even light smile

Thanks to Matt (kitsch) for creating awesome things!

Been using my MGB for a few days now with the el_dmg kit installed but now my cart constantly crashes and when I press play the contrast almost completely disappears.  Are you having any problems with yours?

matt's mind

^ check batteries, sounds like the batteries have gone weak

the contrast changing so much during playback sounds sort of like classic weak-battery-syndrome

onapokoya wrote:

Been using my MGB for a few days now with the el_dmg kit installed but now my cart constantly crashes and when I press play the contrast almost completely disappears.  Are you having any problems with yours?

I experience the same problem with the contrast when using used batteries, when I used fresh batteries it works great, or when I use an aca adapter it works perfect too, but as soon as the batteries ran out of power the problem starts.

I use rechargeables and I tried fresh ones but still got the problem.  So maybe rechargeables don't like the panel.  I'm just going to swap it out or a regular backlight and put the el in something.

Minneapolis
onapokoya wrote:

I use rechargeables and I tried fresh ones but still got the problem.  So maybe rechargeables don't like the panel.  I'm just going to swap it out or a regular backlight and put the el in something.

It's all about the voltage they put out. Rechargables can "sag" after a while.