Milwaukee, WI

Didn't someone mention controlling a SID via a similar method once?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Game Boy + SID would be amazing. The SID would require somewhere around 12 lines of digital I/O, which isn't unreasonable to imagine.

One of the cooler ideas would be to route the Game Boy's sound through the SID audio input since that input also routes through the SID filter. Lots of coolness can be had by using Game Boy sound generation with the awesome 6581 filters (I've played with this before with a modded C64 and an Atari ST).

The SID also has two 8-bit A/D converters, so a potential SID Game Boy could potentially add some form of analog inputs.

EDIT:

-Addressing is 5-bit (there are 29 registers).
-Data is 8-bit

This means a minimum of 13 digital lines for full SID control, this is assuming that the read/write pin is tied low (write state) and that means there will be no read access so you won't be able to use the A/D converters.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Aug 1, 2013 4:05 pm)

matt's mind

forgot to post this the other day...  i seem to have misplaced the other recordings i made so i'll keep looking for those or else just record something else.

jingle bells!  (there are a lot of christmas song examples for this implementation for whatever reason)

the timing is way off in the song in parts, but you can get a picture for the tonal quality and what's going on.  its pretty rough.  no adsr stuff going on, its very very bare bones.  but its what i've got/found atm!  also the timing is wrong in parts as well.  overall its jingle bells done poorly.

jingle bells on 5th channel of kk_gb_8m

recorded straight off the cartridge with a mono 1/8" jack straight into the laptop.  no effects or editing.  yadayada

edit - and, to whats talked about above this post.  yes.  we're on the same wavelength with this sort of thing...

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well, I am excite.

Litebritedeath Land

Kitsch check out my thread where I'm donating $500 to a project or projects as a thank you to the community.  This is definitely one worth helping out if you need funds!

matt's mind

will definitely do...  thanks for the heads up!  you don't understand how crazy it is to read this though...  i literally just got back from the bank talking to them about such things

matt's mind

like, walked in the door.  put groceries up.  and read this. 

i'm a little weirded out by the irony

i'm actually a little weirded out for you!
btw kitsch there is a clothing store here in jerusalem called "lord kitsch" and i think of you every time i pass it on the bus......

matt's mind

this is from my facebook...  if it doesn't mean anything to you/anybody, no worries wink  just a test, illustrating a thing

still have a bug to work out.  but, not in FRAM read/write now big_smile  don't want anyone thinking i've abandoned this or anything...  optimization/bug fixing is a little more than i had first suspected...  i really don't want to send out something with a problem i don't catch.  although, updating the cart is pretty simple, for bug fixes and whatnot

Litebritedeath Land

@kitsch smile it's why I decided to donate.  I really just want to give back to the community and help make something happen!

Arizona

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these things.

Litebritedeath Land

@limitbreak samesies.  smile

Detroit

I'm dreaming of a tri channel for gameboy ;A;