New Albany Indiana

So i recently "got a hold" of Photoshop cs5 Suite, i looked around online for pixel art related stuff for this soft ware.
So i just wanted to know what you guys used for Photoshop, and i would greatly appreciate it if you guys can point me into the right direction.

Tokyo, Japan

You should try this one, it is probably the best resource on the photoshop and pixel arts I have found http://bit.ly/1064wA7

Youngstown, OH

From what I've heard, photoshop is rather cumbersome to do pixel art in. I've never tried but if this rings true I use Graphics Gale. It's free and caters towards pixel art pretty exclusively.

http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/download.html

New Albany Indiana
Lazerbeat wrote:

You should try this one, it is probably the best resource on the photoshop and pixel arts I have found http://bit.ly/1064wA7

I've already have done that, i want specific software, plugins, or addons for photo shop please.

Turku, FIN

Just use pen and nearest neighbor and PS is awesome tool for pixelart. I have used it many years almost daily smile

Youngstown, OH
KeFF wrote:

I have used it many years almost daily smile

Ah okay. My bias has been shattered because your art is amazing. haha

NC in the US of America
KeFF wrote:

Just use pen and nearest neighbor and PS is awesome tool for pixelart. I have used it many years almost daily smile

+1

Turn off all interpolation features, zoom in, and start clicking around. What more do you need for pixelart?

Tokyo, Japan
Bit wish wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

I've already have done that, i want specific software, plugins, or addons for photo shop please.

Can you be more specific? What are you unable to to with out of the box photoshop that you are trying to do?

New Albany Indiana
Lazerbeat wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

Can you be more specific? What are you unable to to with out of the box photoshop that you are trying to do?

I already specified that im looking for addons, plugins, or other software for Photoshop that is pixel art related.

Last edited by Bit wish (Jun 11, 2013 6:35 pm)

Oh cool  so this is one of those threads so popular on messageboards these days where people ask for advice then get upset when people offer them advice

New Albany Indiana
Cementimental wrote:

Oh cool  so this is one of those threads so popular on messageboards these days where people ask for advice then get upset when people offer them advice

It wasn't advice.

Photoshop has more than enough to do what you need w/o plugins.
There are no magic shortcuts except practice.

NC in the US of America

PLESAE loosen up a little bit man. The least you can do is be accommodating and tell us what exactly it is you're wanting to do that can't be accomplished in MSPaint. How you gon' be all tight-lipped when people are actually genuinely trying to help you for once?

From my point of view, asking for ANYTHING extra to help you with pixel art in photoshop just makes you look like a lazy bum. I'm not up on the modern techniques that pixel artists use so I'll defer to the expertise of the more experienced if they decide to chime in, but I do all my pixel art manually by hand one dot at a time. No magic filters or plugins. Just a pen, a canvas and some colors (or lack of colors, teehee)

I haven't used photoshop in over six years and I don't know anything about the plugins, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest some plugin ideas that you may be interested in searching:

Convert photograph to pixel art instantly
image to pixel art converter
convert ascii art to pixel art
convert pixel art to ascii art
retro game fonts
Automatic NES palette color limiter filter
magically turn any digital photograph to pixel art
Instant Gameboy camera filter
instant Amiga filter
instant NES filter
instant 8bit filter
double the size of pixels filter
instant 16bit filter
instant 32bit filter
instant 256 colors filter
instant 16 colors filter

Turku, FIN

Converters (photo->pixelart) usually make really awful looking stuff and probably wont be even considered as pixel art. This is not recommended.

I use some conversion techniques in PS sometimes, but they always need more work in the pixel level.

Bit wish wrote:
Cementimental wrote:

It wasn't advice.

You asked what pixel artists used plug-in-wise for photoshop, the answer from several pixel artists is that they DON'T use any special plugins, but rather use particular photoshop techniques, or use other software than photoshop. This is advice, good advice.

Slightly off-topic but some people might find it useful re: retro/pixel image converters: HyperDither is a standalone free OS X utility recreating Bill Atkinson's truely beautiful black and white dithering algorithm from HyperCard: http://www.tinrocket.com/hyperdither/