Germany

ill receive my dmg very soon and want to do any mods i may want on it.
so far planned:
-li po rechargeable battery
-backlight
-pro sound 3.5mm and rca
-variable overclock
-pitch bend (dunno how yet though)
-keyboard plug (usb or ps2)
-nes controller plug (simple rewiring, ill use a megadrive cable and a d-sub plug)

what are other mods for the original dmg? i dont really care if i have to extend the case for enough space if needed.

Last edited by Bamboori (Jun 11, 2013 10:11 pm)

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7616/dmg-build-blog/

Germany

i think except for the biversion i dont need any of that tongue i dont have midi devices.
i saw that thread, but is that pretty much a complete list of possible mods or just a lot?

ohgodno, Indiana

hes hinting to u to move ur subject to that thread

Germany

but that wont make any sense... thats a worklog and i want information about what other mods there are for dmg

Brisbane, Australia
Bamboori wrote:

-li po rechargeable battery
-backlight
-pro sound 3.5mm and rca
-variable overclock
-pitch bend (dunno how yet though)
-keyboard plug (usb or ps2)
-nes controller plug (simple rewiring, ill use a megadrive cable and a d-sub plug)

With all of those mods i doubt you'll be able to fit in a rechargeable LI PO battery. Unless you maybe stuck it in where the AA batteries usually sit? You could perhaps even cut the whole battery compartment out but leave enough so that the battery cover still sits in there?

As for the mods, i'm fairly certain "Variable Overclock" and "Pitch Bend" are basically the same thing. Pitch bending just uses a potentiometer to change the clock speed as opposed to having a static clock speed. I'd recommend the Variable Clock v4 from thursdaycustoms. That'll give you some space for other things. You can fit RCA plugs on the bottom right side of the back PCB if you drill a bit out of the battery compartment inside (but if you're getting rid of it for the above mod then you won't have to.

You can fit both a 3.5mm jack and a 6.5mm jack in a DMG if you move the skinny bit of PCB from the left to the right of the back plate (Just desolder the existing wires and re-solder longer ones - note down the order of the connected wires before you desolder them!). Check out @joeteach on instagram to see what i mean.

Not sure about many other mods you can do without an arduinoboy. Check out my external variable clock mod in the Circuit Bending section in the forums. Might be of interest.

Last edited by jackary (Jun 11, 2013 12:40 pm)

Brisbane, Australia
b4by f4c3 wrote:

hes hinting to u to move ur subject to that thread

If you read the DMG build blog thread, there's an extensive list of different mods that are available for a DMG. I think that's what 9-heart was referring to.

Last edited by jackary (Jun 11, 2013 12:39 pm)

NC in the US of America
Bamboori wrote:

need

90% of that stuff you don't really "need".

Bamboori wrote:

i think except for the biversion i dont need any of that tongue i dont have midi devices.
i saw that thread, but is that pretty much a complete list of possible mods or just a lot?

Well, you said you wanted to know all possible mods for dmg.

Here's some superficial mods you may have overlooked:

- Switch out the buttons
- light up/glow in the dark buttons
- Paint the case
- alternate battery indicator light color
- custom screen cover
- protective case
- fur coat

Germany

fur coat sounds great xP
actually i think ill build in one of those battery meters that shows you the voltage in numbers and put in a 7.4v li po battery.

matt's mind
Bamboori wrote:

actually i think ill build in one of those battery meters that shows you the voltage in numbers and put in a 7.4v li po battery.

ohhhh, that sounds neat!  post pics if you do it please!

Germany

of course big_smile ill open up a work log here as soon as i can start ( = my gameboy finally arrives). like i said, i dont know if ill have to extend the gameboy case so it may become ugly before the final cosmetic acts tongue

Germany

so im not quite sure if i got how the variable over/underclock works.

as im always short on money and because i like diy better than premade, instead of buying a variable overclock set for the dmg id like to make my own.
but im not sure if this kinda setup would work basically?

note that im pretty much an electronics noob at most areas tongue so this may be completely wrong/useless
edit: actually i wanted to use 2mhz instead of 4 in that pic

Last edited by Bamboori (Jun 11, 2013 10:12 pm)

sweden
SketchMan3 wrote:
Bamboori wrote:

need

100% of that stuff you don't really "need".

Fixd!

Taichung, Taiwan
nordloef wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

100% of that stuff you don't really "need".

Fixd!

Jyväskylä, Finland

I sort of tried that clock thing but all I managed to produce was a crash. I will test another combination later.

Maine
Boddah wrote:

-GBA SP Speaker
-Internal Mega Memory Card accessory

those would probably prove useful