UK, Leicester
SketchMan3 wrote:

mr. primate... I'm really not feeling this threads you've been doing lately. They feel very alienating and melodramatic to me.

That is all.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree, especially this thread. There are a lot of artists out there who have disappeared, and people really like their work, It's the same feeling that people go through when their favorite band splits up. Also, on forums, and online communities, not just relatively small ones, there's going to be members who know each other, get along well, or just think that another user is cool. When people disappear, or get perma banned or whatever, people are obviously bothered. There are artists from here, and from other sites, that seem to have just vanished off of the face of the internet, and if you really liked their stuff, it's a real shame.
Going to use thretris as an example here, he was my introduction to chiptune, I downloaded a bunch of the albums on his site and loved them, then joined 8bc. Now, thretris would disappear for months at a time, without making any blog posts or anything, but recently, he hadn't been online in more than a year or whatever, and I was dead surprised (I was delighted actually) to see that he was back, and painting gameboys again. But back to the albums, 2 of them were compilations, both of them I really liked, when I found a bunch of the artists that I listened to on those compilations on 8bc, I was amazed.
Now, fast forward to about October last year. After 8bc went down, I kinda stopped listening to chip, but for some reason I started messing around with famitracker. Anyway, I looked up a bunch of the artists that I liked from the compilations (tacticalbread, wayne1991, pixy junket and sseraac to name a few) and found out that they'd either been inactive for years, had quit making music, or just vanished. I was pretty saddened, people, although I'd never met them, had created music that I loved to listen to, and I hated the fact that they wouldn't make any more. When tacticalbread turned up on ucollective under the name lembas, I was amazed, and happy that although he was no longer making music, he was still alive, and still remembered chip.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you get attached to people who make music that you like, or do things that you think are cool, and you get upset or whatever when they stop, and you have no idea why.

Tl;dr - rip in peace all of you who stopped making music for whatever reason.

IL, US

instead of rehashing who has dropped off the face of the earth, again, i figured ill use a post to bring attention to someone who released one EP in 2007 that i may have been about the only guy to download at the time: Framebreaker
ep is here http://archive.org/details/Framebreaker-Serial_Dub
(some badass atari II+ dub that should be required listening)
does anyone know literally anything about who Framebreaker is/was?

SLC, UT
kitsch wrote:

i think that's maybe a distinction about what underage language is.  but also maybe my grandmother might not be so squeamish about things like this too

feel free to use the report button (this goes for everyone)!  thats why its there, we don't mind at all.  if we were to get more than one person reporting that would most likely affect our sense of urgency

that spurs action more than anything, other than outright very plainly abusive language.  usually there is a lot of voting/checking behind the scenes before something happens.  i'm not sure that word caught our attention.  (or we will do anything about it now, tbh...)

edit - yeah, what e.s.c. pretty much

I guess I must have an overly conservative grandma. Rule understood, sorry to derail temporarily. Continue to derail as you please!

My 2 cents, just the fact that it reminded me to look up PDF Formats videos is worth it to me. I needed a good laugh!

And TSC that wasn't directed specifically to you, just in general. No hard feelings!

Maine
roboctopus wrote:

Monomania. The WAV channel bass on "West" still amazes me. Disappeared before he released his EP.

i cant find a trace of him anywhere you wouldnt happen to have a link to his soundcloud or cm.o profile?

England

I'm fairly certain that 70-80% of the people I grew up with learning the guitar or studying music at college/uni no longer make music. 

Shit happens, people discover new hobbies, realise that they need to put a lot more effort in to get better, give up everything for a wo/man/family.

I think I'd be very miserable if I couldnt make music anymore, my Dad certainly managed to balance being a musician with a good father with a horrible job.

Last edited by Jellica (Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm)

Jellica wrote:

I'm fairly certain that 70-80% of the people I grew up with learning the guitar or studying music at college/uni no longer make music. 

Shit happens, people discover new hobbies, realise that they need to put a lot more effort in to get better, give up everything for a wo/man/family.

I think I'd be very miserable if I couldnt make music anymore, my Dad certainly managed to balance being a musician with a good father with a horrible job.

If you "quit" chipmusic, you were a poseur all along and nothing of value was lost. True Chip 'Till Death. Fuck the fads.

Madison, Alabama
TheBronyChip wrote:
roboctopus wrote:

Monomania. The WAV channel bass on "West" still amazes me. Disappeared before he released his EP.

i cant find a trace of him anywhere you wouldnt happen to have a link to his soundcloud or cm.o profile?

As far as I can tell the dude just put a few tracks on 8bc and that's it. I remember he said something like, "I hurt my hand and can't play guitar for a few months so I'm making some chiptunes".  He dropped a couple of (in my opinion) flat-out amazing tracks and said he was going to release an EP.

Then *poof* no more 8bc, no more Monomania. 

Maybe he changed his name or something. No one seems to have known him.

*CHIP MYSTERY*

Here are teh boss tracks:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/648 … 20West.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/648 … %20Cut.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/648 … nokaze.mp3

Agent Shhh. The man was great. His old posts on 8BC were long, thoughtful, and quite amusing. I cared about his words more than his music, but hey.

Detroit

R.I.P. Snesei

Died from marijuana overdose

BOSTON

microchip.

UK chipbro. back when nobody else was really using the lsdj WAV channel (imagine that!), his WAV tones were next level. he did a MUSE cover where the guitar and bass tones sounded IDENTICAL to the original recording which blew my mind.

BOSTON

an-cat-max?

he might still be around, or is maybe using another sig, but i havent seen him for a while. i still jam out to his old 8bc tunes almost every day in my running mix. so good and funky.

Playboy Man-Baby
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

PDF Format.

Isn't he just busy doing acting stuff at the moment?

Playboy Man-Baby
The One Electronic wrote:

R.I.P. Snesei

Died from marijuana overdose

Not sure if WGJ4K reference.

Planet Zaxxon
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

PDF Format.

Isn't he just busy doing acting stuff at the moment?

no, he does no music/chiptune anymore as far as I know... just comedy.

England
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

an-cat-max?

he might still be around, or is maybe using another sig, but i havent seen him for a while. i still jam out to his old 8bc tunes almost every day in my running mix. so good and funky.

https://soundcloud.com/astral-cat

he is well and he makes me laugh.

New Albany Indiana

Ant1, WE REMEMBER