Austin, TX

No problem, I got them from www.we-supply.com, the plastic casing can slide off when a pin is pushed down, and then there's a metal housing that unclips giving access to the midi pins.

SLC, UT

Great website, thanks! Looking to maybe do this with an internal arduinoboy in just a DMG. PDF format had a video where he had done this and called it a taco midi. I knew he was joking but I had no idea how it worked or how to do it. You've solved a question I've had for YEARS. Obviously I figured it would be as easy as this I just never got around to looking into it.

Not trying to threadjack here either, but I've often wondered what would be the easiest/smallest jack to replace the standard DMG connector port. I hate to see so many cables/DMG 07s destroyed for their ports. Would a standard audio jack be possible with this or even perhaps the little jack the ti-85/89 calculators use?

Austin, TX

Not a problem man, always happy to help when I can. The parts I've been using work really well for internal AB's in DMG's. I've got kits that I'm putting together at the moment that are ideal for internal installation and will be available on my site next week, if you're interested. I don't think I ever saw the taco midi. I do recall NeX saying something about midi SGB's a long time ago, but never saw any finished products.

As for replacing the link port, audio jacks wouldn't work because there needs to be 5 pins and audio only has 3. I'm not sure what the jacks on the TI Calculators look like, I haven't seen one of those since I was in high school haha. But I think the best thing would be a Mini-USB jack, they have 5 pins, but regular USB only has 4.

SLC, UT

Oh sorry, I don't think I was clear. The taco midi was in a DMG. He plugged a midi guitar into it and played songs. The video is hilarious. I highly recommend you watch it.

I wasn't aware that mini usb had 5 pins..why is that? That certainly would be a great candidate though. Usb cables/ports are so cheap and easy to come by.  The real problem for me is drumming up enough uses for actually replacing it...

But thanks again for the info and for getting my brain working! Great mod. I'll look forward to more work and products in your shop!

clovis CA

the taco mod... so the midi jack has only 3 wires connected to the AB. so, to save space, you just use a different style jack (in his case a 1/8" stereo jack), with a home made cable with 1/8" to midi connector or whatever. saves loads of time dremeling and spacing
smile

UK, Leicester
stargazer wrote:

Oh sorry, I don't think I was clear. The taco midi was in a DMG. He plugged a midi guitar into it and played songs. The video is hilarious. I highly recommend you watch it.

I wasn't aware that mini usb had 5 pins..why is that? That certainly would be a great candidate though. Usb cables/ports are so cheap and easy to come by.  The real problem for me is drumming up enough uses for actually replacing it...

But thanks again for the info and for getting my brain working! Great mod. I'll look forward to more work and products in your shop!

Damnit, I didn't think anyone had already done that. Link to the video?

SLC, UT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAU9MzZ … ata_player

Very unique sense of humor...which I find to be hilarious.

Austin, TX

That was the greatest chip-demonstration video I've ever seen. I haven't had a good laugh like that in a while haha
Trash80 does not exist.

Last edited by Boddah (Jul 16, 2013 5:26 am)

SLC, UT

"Prosipherus mod"

Highly recommend his other videos. How to play ob la di ob la da is great. Great dude. Good musician.