Garland, Tx.

Is there somewhere I can go for tips on how I can find small venues/shows in my area? Or just. Anything to help me get off my ass.
Even though I'm 14, I'd still like to do small shows and stuff, so..

Help? ;~;

Clarified title, lb

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Jun 18, 2013 9:45 pm)

Detroit, Michigan
Legacy wrote:

Is there somewhere I can go for tips on how I can find small venues/shows in my area? Or just. Anything to help me get off my ass.
Even though I'm 14, I'd still like to do small shows and stuff, so..

Help? ;~;

Try and find open mics at local cafes, or try setting up something with a local game shop. House shows are also a good way to get your name out there.

Toronto, Canada

Go to places in your town that host shows and ask them.  Bring a demo to leave or a link they can go and stream your music(don't send download links, nobody wants to deal with that; streaming is quick and they know in the first few seconds if they dig it or not).  Be prepared to hear 'no', but don't get discouraged.  Persistence will pay off eventually.  Also, be prepared to play shows with bands/artists of different genres as there may not be enough local chip stuff to fill a whole show.  Also, if you go to shows, make an effort to converse with the other artists and make connections that way.  It's often easier to find bands already playing gigs and get your foot in the door that way opening for them or something.

One thing to consider though, you are 14, so underage.  Might not be able to play bars, so check out cafes and stuff like that.

Unsubscribe

Find other artists and reach out to them for advice.. local relationships are the key to steady local gigs.

New Albany Indiana

Hi, I'm 15-16 just so you know.
You should take baby steps first, wait a year, get responses from your music. Then start looking for shows.

smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In Toronto we have put together a small group of artists that support each other and often book shows together. It helps to have others in the area since it makes it a bit easier to put together your own shows. If you don't know anyone in the area, try cultivating a community. Organize meetups or events where others can learn to use the tools and software, listen to chipmusic and get excited in general.

Blip Noir from Toronto only started doing chipmusic when I literally forced him to write a couple songs for a big outdoor festival that I was planning to be a part of. He showed up with a couple amateur songs but he was hooked and over time his music has become really, really cool.

Since you're young, you might be able to use your school to do some of this stuff. See if you can do a show at your school, if it's cool enough then people might get excited and want to do the same. Be open and supportive to help those who want help.

I've done workshops at the Ontario Science Center (just think science museum) where I've taught kids about making chiptune music and while that's not the most exciting thing for some people it's actually really rewarding if you've got some kids who are really into it and you're building up more local community.

Garland, Tx.

That's another thing I need help with; finding other Chiptuners in my area.
And yeah, bars are definitely out of the question.

canada

sorry to say but doing chipmusic is the ground.

Garland, Tx.

I know. XD I'd just like to do more than sit in my room and post music online.
Not exciting.

Brunswick, GA USA

At 14-15 you should have your parents help you find gigs if that's really what you want. Being under 18 can cause issues.

UK, Leicester

I have the same problem, just try and play at all age venues. Chances are that if you're underage, you won't be able to perform anywhere where alcohol is sold, so bars and the like are right out. Although where I live doesn't have as big a music scene as places near to me, we still have one or two underage venues, so just look I guess. Also, there's a pretty big chip scene in texas, It'd probably be a good idea to talk to some other texas chip artists and get advice and ideas etc off of them.

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

Hey Legacy! I'm in the DFW area (Arlington, more specifically) and I would recommend connecting with TX Chip. This is a group a few of us in the state maintain, and while most of the artists/events are central to Austin there is no reason it won't keep expanding. Here are some links for you.

Facebook 'fan' page:
https://www.facebook.com/txchip

Public Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/674693359211007/

Stop into the group and introduce yourself. There is also a private group for event planning which you can request an invite to.

Good luck!

Last edited by MicroD (Jun 18, 2013 9:51 pm)

.FILTHadelphia

You can book shows at 14. House shows will be the easiest but you could rent a hall too. I used to play punk shows at an F.O.E. when I was 15 and the kid booking the shows was younger than me so there are work arounds but having a parent present will seal the deal. Invite kids from school, toss flyers around town, get in contact with some other chip people from Texas I'm sure anyone would be glad to come out and play.

Garland, Tx.

Thanks you guys! This has been a big help, I really needed this advice. big_smile

East Kilbride, Scotland

Artists from Texas I'm aware of - Aerotype, Acorn Jump, b-knox, Fatal Labyrinth, I, Cactus, Peter Swimm, The Mysterious H, DataFix, IAYD, Sydro, Walter B. Gentle, Sievert, Yatagarasu, Promwolf.

Check out their listings on the database below. They might be able to help you with ideas for places to book locally.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … tZ3c#gid=0

Also, check out these links. It seems VERY appropriate.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/10562 … roll-call/
https://www.facebook.com/TXChip

Unsubscribe

Im not in texas any more big_smile