Hey guys, Im new to this whole chiptune stuff! I just ordered a few parts to mod my Gameboy and I purchased a cart with LSDJ on it so I can start laying some tracks. I love to listen to chiptune/8bit music and I thought it would be cool to play it. I had one question though do you need to know a lot about music theory in order to play? Does anyone have any tips for a newbie? I havent received my cart in the mail yet I just thought I'd get a head start.

Thanks,

-Strayed

I had no prior experience to music before doing chip.
I'd suggest using an emulator to try and get yourself started before your cart arrives.
Also there is a thread for this kind of post.
Introduction Thread
Cheers

Maine

i heard knowing music theory is recommended but i also hear a lot of people do fine with out it so its all up to you i guess

Ah thanks guys! Sorry to post this here, I should of clicked around more to find that thread.

Montreal, Canada

The only things that were ever required to make decent music are patience and a good set of ears.

Awesome, I'll take that to heart n00bstar.

HEY

Detroit

I highly recommend you start with basic theory classes and perhaps go on to jazz theory.  It's probably a good idea to pick up a second instrument, a trumpet or balalaika would do nicely.  However you shouldn't stop there.  Marching band will get you into the proper shape you'll need to "chip out" at the shows and let everyone know you party hard and rock the gameboy like none other.  Invest in unsual attire.  Wear a tie with super mario riding yoshi and maybe a tattoo of yourself but pixelated so everyone knows you are serious.  Invest in cm.o stock and let the gang know you are now a shareholder of the booming chiptune market.  Declare your love for the chiptune genre and maybe start thinking about how you can get a sick lighting set up for your shows by drawing sick pixel art in ms paint and projecting it up in a powerpoint presentation.

Good luck and god bless your soul.  You paid for chiptunes

Last edited by The One Electronic (Jun 21, 2013 1:50 pm)

The One Electronic wrote:

I highly recommend you start with basic theory classes and perhaps go on to jazz theory.  It's probably a good idea to pick up a second instrument, a trumpet or balalaika would do nicely.  However you shouldn't stop there.  Marching band will get you into the proper shape you'll need to "chip out" at the shows and let everyone know you party hard and rock the gameboy like none other.  Invest in unsual attire.  Wear a tie with super mario riding yoshi and maybe a tattoo of yourself but pixelated so everyone knows you are serious.  Invest in cm.o stock and let the gang know you are now a shareholder of the booming chiptune market.  Declare your love for the chiptune genre and maybe start thinking about how you can get a sick lighting set up for your shows by drawing sick pixel art in ms paint and projecting it up in a powerpoint presentation.

Good luck and god bless your soul.  You paid for chiptunes

Sounds like a good deal! I'll start learning some music theory. Also since you live in Detroit do you know my boy Robocop?

@token Yo!

Detroit

yeah he's a cool dude we are building a statue in his honour

The One Electronic wrote:

yeah he's a cool dude we are building a statue in his honour

Sweet! Give him a hi five next time you see him yo.

Worry about learning to identify pitches, chord qualities, and rhythms. When I want to make a track I hum it, sing it, or play it out on an instrument then track in LSDJ the exact thing I played/sang. I use those methods of recognition to make 80% of my tracks, the other 20% are written straight into the Gameboy because I know exactly how to track it. Work on developing good ears, otherwise music theory can't teach you too much.

Best of luck smile

Brunswick, GA USA

I suggest patience above all else. It may be software, but like any musical instrument you'll need to invest time into learning to play it well.

Alive and well in fucksville

Music theory kills creativity.

Manchester, UK

Yeah you'll be fine without music theory as long as you have a musical ear, as others have said. And if you're interested in making music, you probably have a musical ear.

I think it helps to learn an instrument on the side though. Piano or guitar would be my recommendations, because they introduce you to chords right from the start. It never hurts to know a little bit about chords. Some people might say that chords are "A Major" advantage when making music. I'd say they're just "A minor" advantage.

Medina, Ohio

I don't think it is necessary to know music theory for LSDJ, although it helps a lot to know what notes sound good with each other and what scales work nicely for what you are trying to achieve. I'd go here to learn some stuff: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/40