montreal, qc

uh, i think you guys might want to google 'skwee'

radOS's track is def stockwave- it's the kind of stock music you'd actually pay $1.99 to get royalties for, hence the presence of the audio watermarks; therefore it falls into one of the many subgenres of stockwave: watermarcore, which typically (though not always) has higher production quality (but which also has watermarks) than the publicore stockwave from artists such as dreamstock.com.

great work radOS!!

Last edited by defPREMIUM (Jun 26, 2013 10:06 pm)

ilkae wrote:

like i said with plunderphonics.. any similarities in sound between skweee and stockwave are coincidental- the philosophy and source material are very different. so while i can see where you're coming from, i also don't! heart

Last edited by defPREMIUM (Jun 26, 2013 6:35 pm)

Youngstown, OH

so in

I'm gonna pump out the most forgettable thing I can

sleepytimejesse, welcome. i'm a big fan.

a note: if you would try and make sure that your track's format is compatible with bandcamp's standards that would be the bomb! i assumed bandcamp accepted any kind of .wav but apparently they don't accept 32kHz .wav files. here are the requirements!

montreal, qc
defPREMIUM wrote:

stockwave tracks generally take very little time and effort to produce

you're right, i totally misunderstood.
i explained it to a friend and he thought it was genius.

https://soundcloud.com/livestock-wavepool/

ilkae wrote:
defPREMIUM wrote:

stockwave tracks generally take very little time and effort to produce

you're right, i totally misunderstood.
i explained it to a friend and he thought it was genius.

https://soundcloud.com/livestock-wavepool/

no problem! i'm glad your friend liked it!
and tell me what i'm looking at here- is this your own track??

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ilkae wrote:

"Skweee is a musical style, with origin in Sweden and Finland. Skweee combines simple synth/chiptune leads and basslines with funk, R&B or soul-like rhythms, overall rendering a stripped-down funky sound"

I don't see even a single point of similarity.

Skweee uses simple synthesizers.
Stockwave uses samples from freepublicmusic.com.

Skweee is based on funk, R&B and/or soul.
Stockwave is based on light jazz and easy listening.

Skweee is from Sweden and Finland.
Stockwave is from committees worldwide.

i think ilkae might have just misunderstood something, it's no sweat. the "light jazz" and "easy listening" aspects of skweee could share some similarities with stockwave tho.

edit: i misread your post to say that skweee is based on light jazz/easy listening- whoops!

Last edited by defPREMIUM (Jun 27, 2013 3:27 am)

South Korea

jefftheworld, you forgot one important point.

Skweee is OLD!!!
stockwave is the FUTURE!

Last edited by DeerPresident (Jun 27, 2013 3:44 am)

victory road has joined the club

montreal, qc

My initial point of confusion came from the genre name.
Skwee was known primarily for using stock presets from 80s digital keyboards.

Personally, I don't see how this genre is going to result in a cohesive sound/style, when the pool of sounds being used is massively heterogeneous and all types of processing are allowed.. (and THEN we're supposed to forcememe LSDJ on top of it?) Going on name alone, I was imagining a genre restricted to yamaha portasound presets.

Perhaps I had a bit of a knee jerk reaction, like when 'chillwave' kids stopped slowing down 80's new wave and moved on to mining new jack swing for source, thus resulting in the necessary 'vaporwave' rebranding.

...at least they had better taste in clip art, though.

I am 100% guilty of not reading the first post closely.

Last edited by ilkae (Jul 2, 2013 5:33 pm)

ilkae wrote:

Personally, I don't see how this genre is going to result in a cohesive sound/style, when the pool of sounds being used is massively heterogeneous and all types of processing are allowed.. (and THEN we're supposed to forcememe LSDJ on top of it?) Going on name alone, I was imagining a genre restricted to yamaha portasound presets.

i hear ya- stockwave is not going to, and is not necessarily meant to maintain a cohesive sound- even in the submissions i have already gotten they are pretty different. real stock music itself is diverse, and you can find stock music in almost any genre.. the point is to sort of emulate/reference that stock feel/aesthetic while injecting your own flavor and style into it.

the "lsdj forcememe"ing is really only because this is a chipmusic site and people are to "inject their own style" into it (^)- there could be a metal themed stockwave collab, a ska themed stockwave collab, whatever- but i made it a sort of chip themed collab so that it wouldn't be out of place on cm.o smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ilkae wrote:

My initial point of confusion came from the genre name.
Skwee was known primarily for using stock presets from 80s digital keyboards.

Perhaps I had a bit of a knee jerk reaction, like when 'chillwave' kids stopped slowing down 80's new wave and moved on to mining new jack swing for source, thus resulting in the necessary 'vaporwave' rebranding.

...at least they had better taste in clip art, though.

I'd like to point out that this is mostly for kicks and giggles. It's a creative challenge, too. Just something to get people making stuff outside their comfort zone and having a laugh or two along the way.

I don't actually have dreads.

stockwave is no joke