Montreal, Canada

Well I eventually sold it and I now live a life full of regrets, if that'll help.

tongue

Wife just came home with the Wii Fit Plus from goodwill that was brand new unopened for $25.  I like using it too...  Bought a box of 19 original DMGs that had a few PILs in it (black, green, yellow, and red) that were all supposedly not working and AS-IS for $5.  Got 18 of them working with simple cleaning and fresh batteries.  It was mostly battery acid corrosion...  And not chip/game related but I got a brand new, unopened Teddie Ruxpin in remarkable condition at a thrift store for $45 and then sold it on eBay for $365.

n00bstar wrote:

Moog MG1 for 5$

What the....

Toronto, Canada
n00bstar wrote:

Well I eventually sold it and I now live a life full of regrets, if that'll help.

tongue

Safe to assume you picked that up in the 90's when analog was being given away for pennies?

Montreal, Canada

I don't know that analogs were ever given for *pennies* really, even in the 90s. They were still too expensive for what they were even back then. 303s sold for 800-1000$ easily and a friend of mine had no problems selling his Jupiter8 for 3000$. Of course it's nothing like today where people have gone completely mad with this shit and are placing waaaay too much value on old synths. But yeah, I did buy it in the early 90s, but the reason for the price is mostly because I bought it from someone who didn't know the first thing about anything.

Having been in the music making thingamabob since the 80s and having worked with all kinds of technology, I can say that there is *NOTHING* to the old analogs that justify the kind of prices we see today, now that synth companies have finally taken their heads out of their digital asses and are pumping out analog gear again. Every single argument gearheads can make can be refuted easily. Are they FUN to work with? On some level yes.. but there are modern pieces of gear that are equally fun and so much more practical. That's why I hate collectors markets smile

Let's see now.. Moog MG1, Juno 106, TB303, TR505 606 707 909, DW8000, BassStation, Juno6, JX3P, ProMars, SH101, SH1000 and so many more, all purchased for less than 500$, and all sold back for two to three times their values to get more gear, that got sold too, to buy more gear, to sell, to buy, to sell... Then I got into the same shit with guitars, then it was electric pianos, then old tube amps... got into transistor organs for a while. God damn...the time and money I wasted! It was fun though smile

The only two I regret selling are the 303 and MG1, and both of them the reason is because they are so unique and quirky in the way you program them. All the others, I never looked back.

New Albany Indiana

2 new DMG-01's. 2 rechargeable batter packs, 2 copies of tetris (both with different sticker art, mint condition) then a bunch of crap and games.

All for 15$, including shipping.

UK, Leicester
viciousitaly wrote:

Is this a thing? Like, "here's all the crap I've got in my trunk" sale?
(sorry, 'merica...)

People bring stuff they don't want in their car, and set up little tables, and sell stuff.

Sycamore Drive wrote:
viciousitaly wrote:

Is this a thing? Like, "here's all the crap I've got in my trunk" sale?
(sorry, 'merica...)

Carboot sale = swap meet = flea market

Yeah, that.

Not sure if this is a massivley good tihng to happen to me, as I'm no good with synth prices and the like, but I got a PSS-680 (FM synth from 1988) for free off of a friend of mine last night.

Last edited by Alpine (Jun 27, 2013 8:59 pm)

Toronto, Canada
n00bstar wrote:

I can say that there is *NOTHING* to the old analogs that justify the kind of prices we see today,

I think a lot of it comes down to nostalgia.  The kids of the 80's who could never afford that stuff new and lusted after it for years are all grown up now and have the cash to burn.

That coupled with people with more money than sense, you have the current market.

washington

i think noobstar wins this thread.

Montreal, Canada

I'd like to thank my agent, my parents, God, and the academy. It has been such an honour to be nominated alongside such great people, you are my inspiration.

*grabs Golden Chipee and exits the stage gracefully*

(edit: also.. let's remember I didn't list the hundreds of terrible deals I made where I got fucked over smile )

Last edited by n00bstar (Jun 27, 2013 9:37 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

Most of my guitars were ~$80 eBay scores, my commodore stuff was acquired from an assortment of flea markets and Ham (amateur) Radio club sales, and some eBay, from making offers on boxes 'o crap.

Last edited by Glitch Militia (Dec 2, 2014 6:23 pm)

London

I managed to pick up an Atari 520STE, 520STfm and monochrome monitor with mouse, cables and disks for £20 which now takes up most of my desk, and seems to justify me having so many gameboys at uni wink
I also went to a flea market in Spain last week and was wading through PSOnes and suspicious looking "NES"s.
I came across a 'Dr Boy' there as well, anyone have info? Connects to a TV apparently, could have been awesome?

SLC, UT

Super Mario RPG boxed with manual for $5 at a pawn shop.

Ice blue pocket mint condition at goodwill for about 5.

Boxed Zelda II for maybe 1.50 at a thrift shop (owned by the Mormon church) smile

I bought a modded xbox with 5 games and 2 controllers for 10 euro's.
Also an Amiga500 with Protracker 2.2a and a lot of extra stuff for 10 euro's.
And today I bought a ps2 with modchip and about 120 games + 2 controllers for 30 euro's.

Not bad if I may say (:

clovis CA

i won an ebay auction for a green dmg, and when it was time to ship, the lady explained that it doesnt work, and if she wanted me to still have it. she sent it to me, free. best auction ever. i went on modding it and it got a new home, where it shortly died sad *kinetic turtle* cough cough) wink