I'm in the US but have a stock PAL A1200. It kept crashing. I was testing it by running AHX tracker from a floppy. Whenever I loaded and played a song, it would play for a few seconds with garbled audio and then crash. I kept getting errors "8000 0003" and "8100 0005".

So I replaced all the capacitors. It did need that because one of the through-hole caps was bulging, and one of the SMD caps had leaked. It still boots up, but has the same problems! In fact, now sometimes I get the error messages, and sometimes the screen goes glitchy and freezes while glitchy audio keeps playing. It also crashes even if I just go into the Amiga's own audio settings and try to play the test beep.

Why is this happening and how do I fix it?!

Thanks!

EDIT: Other possibly useful things to know... It's motherboard revision 1D4. The only socketed chips on it are the two Kickstart ROMs, which say version 3.0.

EDIT2: Could the problem be the hard drive? PSU? Floppy drive? Bad chips? Virus?

Last edited by Awol (Jun 28, 2013 6:09 am)

San Francisco

that sux dood sad

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Awol wrote:

Could the problem be the hard drive? PSU? Floppy drive? Bad chips? Virus?

I think we can rule out a virus. ;P

Have you tried copying AHX to the HDD? If the floppy drive is unstable, that might help. But I'm not confident that's the real problem, though.

Does it crash at exactly the same point every time?

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jun 28, 2013 7:12 am)

Montreal, Canada

You should ask on Amiga.org

Some of the people there have scary levels of knowledge of the hardware.

Milwaukee, WI

Double check Paula to see if there are any metal slivers stuck between the chip legs and gently take a vacuum to the motherboard. Do you have a different set of Kickstart chips or a separate tracker you can test with? What version of Workbench are you using? I'm going to rule out floppy drive/virus/psu/hard drive as the culprit, although I would suggest using an IDE Compact Flash card instead of an actual drive.

You may also want to add something called Memtrailer to your startup sequence. This was the source of a LOT of issues for me. I do remember having problems with my PAL board.

Unfortunately, this serves as yet another reminder on why actual Amiga hardware shouldn't be used in 2013. Hell, just the other day I was setting up a virtual Amiga machine on the PC and the EMULATED AMIGA WAS CORRUPTING THE EMULATED WORKBENCH FLOPPIES. What the fuck? There's no winning.

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. I've given up on this for the moment. I'll get back to it eventually, and when I do I'll try your suggestions. Just wanted to let you know the help is appreciated though. wink

brighton, uk

The guru codes point towards faulty ram or chips, but I only know this much.

If you have spare ram switch them out and give it a try, as I'm fairly sure that's your problem. I've had the same codes with ram heavy programs until I upgraded my 1200 to have a higher capacity.

Check that all chips are seated properly too.

Sweden

Here are some people getting the same errors. Possibly for other reasons, though.

http://eab.abime.net/support-hardware/3 … 003-a.html
http://eab.abime.net/support-hardware/6 … brary.html