Milwaukee, WI

Has there been any studies on this?  I mean, I feel like there would have to be some initiatives studying names with exposure trends.

Chunter, I see what you mean now. But it is not so much I want to change my style, and more that I want to improve my current style without the previous opinions held on me.

Theta_Frost, I was looking around on the interwebs and I can't seem to find any "studies" done on it. I found a bunch of recommendations as far as what you should and should not do, but nothing that is scientifically proven to be a "good" name.

Brunswick, GA USA

There is only one other very personal thing I can say about the power of a performer name: it's much easier to find a performer with a unique name in a Web search. Throughout a certain period of my life, I'd ask professionals if I need a stage name, because there are at least 6 musicians named "Christopher Hunter" that I am aware of, all of those people thought my real name would suffice.

Despite meaning something negative, "chunter" works well where my real name didn't.

Have you done something that a good song/show won't instantly erase? Memories are short.

Well I have a bandcamp that hasn't been visited by more than 50 people, probably less. So it wouldn't be a problem using the same name, but I still think I want to change my name. Mainly because most people pronounce it Zeetrus when in reality it sounds like Extras. Also, on top of that, a friend of mine used this as his gaming alias for while and he said I could use it. At the time I was hard pressed for a name, so I took the name because I liked it and I needed one. Now though, I want a name that is my own, and a name that people can pronounce.

Gosford, Australia

"ziːtɹɘs" sounds way better imo

THAT LINGUISTICS COURSE IS FINALLY PAYING OFF

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 29, 2013 4:19 am)

Brunswick, GA USA

That's understandable. To reiterate, I suggest typing whatever you want into google or bing and if you don't see a musician on page one of the results go for it.

NC in the US of America

I always thought your name should've been Zetryx for what it's worth. But I think there's already a c-trix so that wouldn't work.

Edit: wow, I had no idea chunter was a synonym for mutter. I always thought your name was pronounced C. Hunter

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 29, 2013 8:07 am)

Boise, ID

you could just change your name to "reboot"... tongue

I don't regret my alias yet, even though a bunch of japanese people actually have it as a name.
I just wish I could edit my username on here, to take off the "Music" bit...

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (Jun 29, 2013 9:46 pm)

San Diego, CA

--sees thread about artist names--
--three pages long in less than a day--

D:

Gosford, Australia

imagine if we just had a moratorium on all threads that weren't cool enough for us hip and happening forum wizards

it'd be fucking boring

Los Angeles, CA

I've always thought about changing my name, especially when I went from making melodic happy stuff with a hint of occasional darkness to chipthrash...but then I realized no one gives a fuck but me. So I have one happy album (Game Boy Rock), one kinda dark more industrial album but still with happy melodies (Telstar Arcade), one pretty much full on chipthrash album (Welcome To Thrash City), and then a weird one that is kind of eclectic but still mostly thrash vibes (Gameboy Gutsfuck). And now I'm back to making kinda happy music again, and I'm still Wizwars. Its just a name, and I figure at this point I'm stuck with it. I figure Darkthrone went from Death Metal to Black Metal to Crust Punk Infused Metal to Classic Heavy Metal Inspired over the years and they've stayed Darkthrone. And I fucking love Darkthrone.

Last edited by Wizwars (Jun 30, 2013 2:35 am)

Robotcity, the year 20XX
Wizwars wrote:

I've always thought about changing my name, especially when I went from making melodic happy stuff with a hint of occasional darkness to chipthrash...but then I realized no one gives a fuck but me. So I have one happy album (Game Boy Rock), one kinda dark more industrial album but still with happy melodies (Telstar Arcade), one pretty much full on chipthrash album (Welcome To Thrash City), and then a weird one that is kind of eclectic but still mostly thrash vibes (Gameboy Gutsfuck). And now I'm back to making kinda happy music again, and I'm still Wizwars. Its just a name, and I figure at this point I'm stuck with it. I figure Darkthrone went from Death Metal to Black Metal to Crust Punk Infused Metal to Classic Heavy Metal Inspired over the years and they've stayed Darkthrone. And I fucking love Darkthrone.

But Darkthrone and Wizwars are both solid band names.

California

i want to change my name only because the last letter disappear when i post in cm.org.....

oh and idk if i like auburnkitsune anymore tongue

Last edited by AuburnKitsune (Jun 30, 2013 6:01 am)

Gosford, Australia
AuburnKitsune wrote:

oh and idk if i like auburnkitsune anymore tongue

whenever i see artist names that are japanese words prefixed with english words, it makes the artist seem like a bit of a basement dwelling weeaboo.
but that's just me.

oh, i hope nobody thinks bad things about me because of my artist name now! :v

Playboy Man-Baby

I went through a long span of time with a shitty username on 8BC but I uploaded a lot of shit. Then I found out that a terrible rapper was using the name, so I dropped it for a new one on cm.org, and then I found that there were like 5 other electronic artists with the same name, so I dropped that one for my present one and just got so sick of changing names that I made an oath to stick to this one. I got it from the end of a Youtube video in which some middle aged guy described the box art on the DMG.

Robotcity, the year 20XX

Our name is horrible. Not only is it a reason for people not to take us serious, there is also the constant threat of a Big N cease and desist (not really, but lol). But we were drunk, thought that we were being freaking genius and now we reached the point of no return: changing the name and throwing away all reputation we've build up throughout the years just seems not to be worth it.