Toronto, Ontario, Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Created_Disco

I can't say I'm the hugest fan of Calvin Harris, but his song Acceptable in the 80s is decently fun and it's super cool to see that a big successful album can still be produced entirely on an Amiga.

He used an Amiga 1200 running OctaMED and got many of his samples from Korg M5 presets.

England

lets remind ourselves about some of the amazing hits calvin harris has produced

and imagine being so great that you get to work with example

he is so cool hanging out in sunny places with babes and cars

Last edited by Jellica (Jun 29, 2013 9:55 am)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Those are all songs he wrote after he stopped using an Amiga. I think they illustrate the point that Amigas rule.

Zomby's album "where were u in '92" was made with an Atari ST and an akai s2000 sampler.
Also pretty oldschool cool.

Vienna

i can totally hear some radix in the second video. cool beans, man.

edit: trollface.jpg

Last edited by Rico Z (Jun 29, 2013 2:57 pm)

西安

Always loved "I Created Disco" more than any of his new stuff. Now I know why smile

BOSTON

that

is pretty damn cool, i didnt know that. great post.

Chicago IL

never heard of him before this thread but this shit fuckin sucks

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Saskrotch wrote:

never heard of him before this thread but this shit fuckin sucks

This was the stuff he made on Amiga:

Totally different than the stuff he's made since making it big, clearly. I don't really follow him and I had no idea his new stuff was so boring.

Chicago IL

that shit sucks too. Why do people think that bad music is okay cause it was written on an old computer?

Milwaukee, WI
Saskrotch wrote:

that shit sucks too. Why do people think that bad music is okay cause it was written on an old computer?

+1

shanghai
TSC wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

+2

I'm gonna say it's not my cup of tea. Susumu Hirasawa is (was?) also a heavy OctaMED user but I only like some of his work.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Saskrotch wrote:

No, I don't think bad music is okay if it's written on an old computer. I absolutely think that his new stuff is terrible, but the older songs that I posted sound alright to me. Unlike his new stuff they don't sound like they were written by a committee, they have a fun sort of vibe and while I'm not running out to buy the album I certainly don't agree that "that shit sucks too".

England

he is like totally my second favorite edm producer after david guetta.

actually maybe 3rd after swedish house mafia.

i think that william is probably my forth favorite edm producer.

NC in the US of America

Honestly, I think his newer stuff sounds better than the old stuff. At least "I Need Your Love" has something of a derived radix-esque demoscenish vibe to it to keep me almost interested. The melody is a bit weak, but that is to be expected since the song can rely on the lyrics. It seems like it would fit right into a chill little demo thing. It's pretty generic, but at least it sounds okay.

I wonder... do people not like music that sounds like it was "written by a committee" because it was written by a committee, or because of the actual way that it sounds? If there were no marketing committees making those types of sounds but only artists who aim to do the things that non-committee artists do, would people who are more into independent stuff be more accepting of them?

His old stuff annoys me for some reason. I don't know what it is.