UK, Leicester

Pretty much what the tittle says, is it possible? I know that you can solder an LED to a DS instead of the top screen, but what about a DMG? I ask because I have more working back PCBs than front.

Germany

uhm, doesnt it start up without a screen? i always thought so.

Sweeeeeeden

Yeah, the CPU doesn't know whether there's a screen attached. You won't have any direct button input however, so there's that. You could get around that with some planning. Say put LSDj in slave mode and start the playback from the other side of the link cable. Or use it for MIDI.

UK, Leicester
Bamboori wrote:

uhm, doesnt it start up without a screen? i always thought so.

did not know

nitro2k01 wrote:

Yeah, the CPU doesn't know whether there's a screen attached. You won't have any direct button input however, so there's that. You could get around that with some planning. Say put LSDj in slave mode and start the playback from the other side of the link cable. Or use it for MIDI.

that sounds like a good idea, but I have a distinct lack of link cables (although I may need to get some now)

nitro2k01 wrote:

You'd still need to press start in lsdj to get it to sync...
mgb and midi should work, right?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Timbob wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

Wiring a single button for start would be possible, too.

UK, Leicester
jefftheworld wrote:
Timbob wrote:

Wiring a single button for start would be possible, too.

How about wiring an NES controller for control of every button?

Rhode Island

There was a topic about wiring a controller to the gameboy not too long ago

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11361 … ontroller/

UK, Leicester

hence why I suggested it

burnfingers hasn't uploaded a tut yet, so I wouldn't even know where to start without it

Sweeeeeeden

You could wire up a single button as a start button, between pin 6 and, uhm I can't remember off the top of my head which of the connections marked "button diodes".

http://gbdev.gg8.se/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=400

Chicago IL

but wait what are you gonna do when you get the back pcb working on its own

UK, Leicester

probably just sync it with another DMG, but it's cool to find out what other things I could do with it

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can imagine taking a mainboard PCB being placed in a small enclosure with an mGB cart and an arduinoBoy. A singlesmall package DMG synth module.

UK, Leicester
jefftheworld wrote:

I can imagine taking a mainboard PCB being placed in a small enclosure with an mGB cart and an arduinoBoy. A singlesmall package DMG synth module.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of building a back pcb into a keyboard of some kind, but that works to.

Sweeeeeeden
Saskrotch wrote:

but wait what are you gonna do when you get the back pcb working on its own

<snarky nitro mode>
You could always damage a DMG shell an make your own version of the mythical Gulf War Gameboy that plays Tetris forever, but without a display.
</snarky nitro mode>

Chicago IL
Alpine wrote:

probably just sync it with another DMG, but it's cool to find out what other things I could do with it

like, have a separate cart for each song, preloaded?