what kind of wood would one choose?
or more importantly, is this even possible?

clovis CA

i would suggest using a CNC router. I know maple is really soft, and oak is super strong.

Brunswick, GA USA

Make sure it's well-treated and no knots where you mean it. I suggest making it have a plastic panel mounted to the wood so there's less pain regarding reaching the buttons or future repairs in a pinch.

Minneapolis

I would suggest a CNC-made or 3D printed plastic form, with a very thin veneer molded over the top, if you asked me. Otherwise it will be much too thick.

Louisville Ky

Bit Wish works with Veneer.

buffalo, NY

LASERCUT

Melbourne, Australia

You can even get filament for 3d printers now that allow you to print in wood. Could be something to look into.
Also, has anyone with a 3d printer modeled anything for a dmg? There's a half finished case model on thingiverse, etc.

Seattle, WA US
Calavera wrote:

You can even get filament for 3d printers now that allow you to print in wood.

clovis CA

arent 3d printers in the $10,000 range?

Melbourne, Australia

Nope, you can get home printers in the $300-500 range smile I have a soildoodle 2 which can print up to 6 x 6 x 6". It was about 600 bucks shipped and assembled.

The wood printing is kind of interesting: https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+prin … vrkAWT8IBQ

Chicago IL

If one were to attempt to make a wooden DMG case, one would hope that one has enough experience in woodworking to know.

New Albany Indiana

If one had enough experience, they could make a full wooden case to fit the circuits.

Brunswick, GA USA

What I'd find interesting, since the wood is likely to make the thing bulkier anyway, is someone making a dually DMG with sync already attached under the panelwork.

matt's mind

incidentally, kitsch-bent has recently invested in a 3d printer for prototyping purposes and i've also got some of the laywood material en route to me now,

if anything comes of this i'll post here for sure!

however, there are already a few areas i can think of which will require a soluble material from a second extruder, and getting rid of the (water) soluble material with the main material being laywood might be a bit of an issue...  not sure how it will tolerate water.  but, we'll see wink  the custom cases are one of the things i'm really wanting to get to print once i figure this thing out a bit more

Melbourne, Australia

Also, feel free to post your inevitable .stl files, Kitsch heart

Wooden buttons and cart cases would be amazing.