Argentina

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been mentioned earlier, but I just can't get around this and I thought maybe someone could give me a hint.

I have this DMG 001 gameboy, and I've installed the asm backlight. When I'm playing the display flickers. It also makes a lot of noise with the volume completly off (it's above normal, I know these things are noisy).

What could it be? I'm not using rech batteries. Maybe a capacitor? I checked the electrolitycs and visually they seem okey.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

(219) Indiana, USA

Can you take some pictures of the points where you soldered the backlight and some pics of the front and back board? I think that'll help everyone help you easier.

Argentina

Hi! Thank you, yes... here are some pictures https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … 678b5d8484

If you need more just ask.

big_smile

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:40 am)

Argentina

Damned. Zero hiss and zero flickering without it. What's wrong?

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:39 am)

Argentina

Mint. I've tried every kind of battery there is.

washington

maybe try connecting the backlight to a different power source?

KC

I've had this problem before never could fix it. 

changed the caps, removed backlight, different batteries. nothing

Argentina

Removing the backlight solved it for me... but I want to use it... maybe the backlight is deffective?

Argentina

Any ideas guys? I connected the backlight to the recommended points for best results on the tutorial

Argentina

Hola Ezequiel
Which backlight are you using? I see that you solder it to a point a never used it.
My Backlights are solder to the capacitor that is just above the ribon cable.

Argentina

Hey Z,

Thanks for the advise, I'll try it this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Chau,

E.-

Argentina

Hey guys, here I'm again. I followed this tutorial: http://asmretro.com/dmg-backlight-tutorial

That's ASMs web site... and I followed those instructions... is there any other (better) way to connect the pannel?

Best.-

Brisbane, Australia

The ground point that you have it hooked up to is fine. What power source have you soldered it to?
For the +5v power source, you can solder the wire to the capacitor below the screen, or you can feed it through the back and connect it to the back PCB as seen here: .

I personally have had a few problems soldering to the capacitor and now generally solder it to the back PCB. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Argentina

Hi! I have it just like that. What should I do? sad