Brooklyn NY US

Never understood the controversy. Yes from what little I know of him, he seemed to want to view the artists & musicians in whom he took an interest as his own personal chess-pieces; but it's not like he's alone in that respect, and I'm not clear about what harm he's perpetrated on the chipmusic community. Whatever his designs may have been on the chipmusic movement, Timbaland is definitely not a legitimate comparison.

Bit Shifter wrote:

...I'm not clear about what harm he's perpetrated on the chipmusic community...

Indeed.  Although it happened "before my time" with the scene, I read the article, and I have to admit I don't understand the level, or intensity, of the backlash against it.

Though the whole thing gave me the idea of a chip music shirt concept: a simple t-shirt with the text "I shot Malcolm Mclaren" (a la "I shot Andy Warhol", if you don't get it don't worry about it) but I'm not so sure about it now that he's dead! Or maybe it's even better?

Unsubscribe

I think Malcom was judged on the totality of his contributions. Im just bitter cause Adam Ant was never the same after he stole his band.

Brooklyn NY US

Hahahaha

herr_prof wrote:

...I think Malcom was judged on the totality of his contributions...

What do you mean?

Unsubscribe

He had a long history of ripping people off in many genres, many times over.

By the time he got to chipmusic, his ignominy was pretty well known.

London, UK

I don't think he was a genius (unless you fully believe the "talent borrows, genius steals" maxim), and I think he was quite probably a massive prick. But he had an ear for interesting sounds, and combined with his commercial nous it resulted in some music I still enjoy listening to. Not a bad legacy, all told!

(And Duck Rock is still the nuts.)

Oh, I see.  My lack of in depth knowledge on Mclaren then left me confused about the hate.  But I know now!

New York City
Battle Lava wrote:

I read the article, and I have to admit I don't understand the level, or intensity, of the backlash against it.

He did not just voice his opinion in an article, he got involved a lot more in micromusic and did a load of things.

It's not JUST the article. As I said, people just play it by ear without first hand knowledge (and I admit mine being second hand).

I'm not even taking a side on teh old debate now, I'm just pointing out that, for most, "it's not what you think".

Last edited by akira^8GB (Apr 9, 2010 8:22 pm)

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

now maybe we can finally see all those unlicensed sex pistols videos...

Athens, Greece

rip mr malcolm

akira^8GB wrote:

...he got involved a lot more in micromusic and did a load of things...

Like what? 

I know there were collaborations... right?  For example, wasn't it mentioned in the article that he collaborated with Mark Denardo?

I'm not trying to start a debate.  In fact, I wouldn't try to defend or demonize.  I'm just really curious about all this.

What did he do?

The City Of Angels

He didn't do anything other than bsns. That's about it. He's a bsns man. He helped bring a boy-band together and managed it, all while exploiting/distorting various definitions from ideology movements (that were already present) to a simple thing such as how people view the word "anarchy".

an·ar·chy [an-er-kee]  Show IPA
–noun
a state of society without government or law.
political and social disorder due to the absence of governmental control

(Note: it doesn't specifically mean chaos or hint at it. Just lack of things we are accustomed to.)

But according to most people nowadays:

anarchy =  chaos and destruction, all thanks to the then exploited/distorted "punk" movement.

People should only be praising him for his bsns and nothing more. Should be featured in bsns magazines more than anything else.

He gave an "face", an image if you will... to something that was faceless, without idols.

If you believe that deserve high praise and merits/awards, then we definitely have different point of views/morals in life.

Last edited by Mono (Apr 9, 2010 11:17 pm)

He did a 10'' with Mark Denardo which also featured Tobiah and the Hardliner...Poke 1,170 has it, it's bizarre.

Btw Liquidcalm - http://www.discogs.com/Malcolm-McLaren- … se/1325926

Last edited by Stevens (Apr 10, 2010 12:51 pm)

Hey, at least he's dead now.

@Mono: I meant what did he do in relation to the chip music scene.