Brazil

He died today, and despite all the bullshit people said about him, I think he was a genius. A fucking bastard genius.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Apr 9, 2010 1:08 am)

London, UK

Before people start raking over *THAT* Wired article and declaring him public enemy no 1 again, can I just say that I love his ridiculous 80s hip-hop/classical experiments. Madame Butterfly is a gorgeous work of beauty. RIP.

England

malcommmmmmclarentrubutecompilationlol?

Bristol

I never had much of his music, but damn, 'About Her' off the Kill Bill soundtrack (I never found which album it was off originally) with The Zombies samples was a great piece of trip-hoppy goodness.

AANABAY01

MML is dead

Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

MML is dead

Unsubscribe

Ugh. I wonder how this forum will respond when timbaland has a weight fall on him.

London, UK
herr_prof wrote:

Ugh. I wonder how this forum will respond when timbaland has a weight fall on him.

Would you like us to be more or less lynch-mobby? wink

If this was 8bc, we'd already be ten pages deep into plans for some fourteen-year olds to hijack his funeral over that article in Weird magazine about the domoscene.

New York City
matt.nida wrote:

If this was 8bc, we'd already be ten pages deep into plans for some fourteen-year olds to hijack his funeral over that article in Weird magazine about the domoscene.

Why would this happen?
Most of the people in 8BC (and to a great extent, here) weren't around when the Malcolm McLaren controversy happened. They would just do it "playing it by ear", acting after something they heard or think they heard and not knowing what really transpired those days. And it was not regarding an article about the Demoscene!

With all due respect for the dead, he was surely involved in more than one shady situation and I base myself on stories told by people who -actually met and dealt with him- for questioning the "genius"label that Kurt has put on him at the beginning of the thread. That's all I'll say.

May he rest in peace.

London, UK
akira^8GB wrote:

Why would this happen?
Most of the people in 8BC (and to a great extent, here) weren't around when the Malcolm McLaren controversy happened. They would just do it "playing it by ear", acting after something they heard or think they heard and not knowing what really transpired those days. And it was not regarding an article about the Demoscene!

That's exactly what I meant smile  Believe me, we're on the same page regarding 8bc...! It was just a little joke on the tendency to half-hear a scene controversy and go in all guns blazing, Chinese whispers style.

Anyway, RIP. Was listening to Duck Rock this morning and hugely enjoyed it.

Brazil

Yeah, I know i'm being biased, I know he was a mofo and did a lot of dirty things on the musical scene. But nevertheless, specially with the chip community, I just got here after the tings that happened.

I think he "found" the scene too early. Don't you guys think he would be the manager of some shitty dude at 8bc if it was today?

Sorry with the label of genius, but what he did with sex pistols was genius. Akira, you know the word picareta? I can't translate. It's pretty much like a leacher, but smart enough to pull off when things go downhill. That's what I think, and i think it genius.

I don't want this to become a derailed thread, so let's keep the mood that is now. (I also wanted to see your reactions to the theme).

AND I like his music. Duck Rock, despite being thievery, is good. (Holy shit, now I understood).

Geneva, NY

I would just like to say that all day yesterday, I reveled in a feeling of pride for the chipmusic.org community for NOT starting this thread.  8:07 PM EDT is not bad at all.  heart

New York City
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Akira, you know the word picareta? I can't translate. It's pretty much like a leacher, but smart enough to pull off when things go downhill. That's what I think, and i think it genius.

We call it "pícaro" in spanish. Actually the "picardia porteña" is famous. Basically is the Buenos Aires resident's typical tendence to screw someone up and walk out of it unharmed, and actually be cheered by others for screwing someone over.

It's one of the traits of my society I despise the most. Sorry.

Unsubscribe

I'd rather it see go by without mention, least of all any genius appellations applied to him.

São Paulo, Brazil

"genius" is overrated.

and akira, the brazilian word for this "picardia porteña" is "jeitinho brasileiro".

Brazil

Yeah, I over reacted, sorry. But I still don't see how it's that bad. Could be worse, but I can see your points.