Montreal, Canada
sleepytimejesse wrote:

I look at it as flattery and generally helping my cause, though I do know that sort of bittersweetness is there.

Yeah that's pretty much how I see it too. Out of all that is out there, he picked those songs. I got credited properly and it's all done very cleanly. It's not like I found one of my song in EA's latest game or something. I just find it weird that he didn't contact me at all. If I liked some dude's music and wanted to youtube it or something, I'd definitely contact the guy. I mean if I find his music cool and all, I'd want to let him know and give him props for it.

It happened to me before a couple years ago when I had my electro house project. I found one of my songs online on youtube. Back then there was absolutely no way for this guy to contact me from the outlets I had for my songs (shit would go to the label's email and bla bla) so I contacted him and ended up having long MSN chats with the guy and sending him my entire 'discography'. The kid was so stoked, it was pretty fun smile

breakfastsquid wrote:

also this isnt "using" your track, it's just sharing it. they're not gaining anything from uploading it in the first place.

Aye. It's true that he's not doing it for profit. Hell he's probably doing it more out of genuine appreciation for the music.. but that brings me back to the original point, if he likes it enough to put this effort in, why not contact me? It's not like I'm.. who was it.. Miley Cirus lol? It's not as much a question of 'permission' as  it is one of.. I dunno.. giving people a heads up on things. Hell even just a "hey check out these videos I made with your songs" would've been great. I guess I'm just confused with the fact there was zero communication.

defPREMIUM wrote:

u sound like an old guy wink plus i could never justify being upset about someone uploading my music (even if it wasn't free) for the simple fact that i have used youtube so much to listen to other artists' music that i hadn't bought..

Call me old one more time and you're getting hit upside the head with a cane smile  But yeah, I'm not upset at all about it, just surprised. This entire scene has a grand total of zero 'stars' that cannot be reached one way or another. Maybe the guy is even a lurker here.. in fact it's more than likely since CMO is the only place where this EP was advertised. So again.. dammit, why no emails? I WANT MY FANMAIL DAMMIT. ALL THE FANMAIL. Also, some cocaine would be nice.

rygD wrote:

Consider if your music was popular.  Would you want 5000 emails a day asking if people can use it for this thing or share it in some way?

Well there's a huge gap between no emails, and 5000 emails per day. But yeah.. I'd be totally stoked to get emails! Isn't it what drives us all to make more and better music, knowing that people out there like it? Maybe 5000 per day would be a bit much, but getting a few of them per week would be fucking great smile

saskrotch wrote:

I usually overreact and go straight to the forums about it

You're just a fat bearded cunt with an attitude problem and I would take great pleasure in carving your face off with a dull knife. That, is overreaction. See the difference?

Milwaukee, WI

@saskrotch - I don't see this thread as overreaction as much as I see it as self-validation. See the difference?

VA

whoa dude

Milwaukee, WI
n00bstar wrote:
saskrotch wrote:

I usually overreact and go straight to the forums about it

You're just a fat bearded cunt with an attitude problem and I would take great pleasure in carving your face off with a dull knife. That, is overreaction. See the difference?

For posterity.

TSSBAY01

thread about guy named noobstar who now has a song available for streaming on youtube

n00bstar wrote:

.. I just find it weird that he didn't contact me at all. If I liked some dude's music and wanted to youtube it or something, I'd definitely contact the guy. I mean if I find his music cool and all, I'd want to let him know and give him props for it.

...Hell he's probably doing it more out of genuine appreciation for the music.. but that brings me back to the original point, if he likes it enough to put this effort in, why not contact me? It's not like I'm.. who was it.. Miley Cirus lol? It's not as much a question of 'permission' as  it is one of.. I dunno.. giving people a heads up on things. Hell even just a "hey check out these videos I made with your songs" would've been great. I guess I'm just confused with the fact there was zero communication...

rygD wrote:

Consider if your music was popular.  Would you want 5000 emails a day asking if people can use it for this thing or share it in some way?

Well there's a huge gap between no emails, and 5000 emails per day. But yeah.. I'd be totally stoked to get emails! Isn't it what drives us all to make more and better music, knowing that people out there like it? Maybe 5000 per day would be a bit much, but getting a few of them per week would be fucking great smile

Ok, I see what bugged you, and I agree it would be better for everyone if people acknowledged that they were going to borrow or share the works of others.  Maybe you could look at something where you are allowing people to use it and share it freely as long as they credit you AND let you know or get your approval.  It is really easy to get in touch with people, so I suppose more people should send a little email with "hey, I love your stuff, mind if I do this with it?"

Chicago IL
n00bstar wrote:

I would take great pleasure in carving your face off with a dull knife.

I'd love to see you try.

NC in the US of America

For some reason I thought most people who released stuff for free put it under a CC Use and Share For Noncommercial purposes and give credit.

hiding under your bed
TSC wrote:
n00bstar wrote:

For posterity.

I laughed so hard at this.

Somewhat-related to the topic at hand, I found myself on the opposite end of this situation recently.
I wanted to use tracks from Ben Briggs and Ectogemia's K.K. & Friends album for a video of glitches I'd found in Animal Crossing: New Leaf so that nobody would have to listen to me and my brother yelling at each other the whole time. The album was released under a CC NonCommercial-ShareAlike license, so I knew it was probably fine to use, but I sent them a couple messages just as a heads up to make sure they'd be fine with it, but never got a response.
With mixed feelings about it I eventually went ahead and put the video up with the tracks in it, with a link to the album in the description.
Then everywhere I posted it (facebook, twitter, various message boards) there were plenty of people like "OMG THIS MUSIC IS SO GREAT THANKS FOR LINKING TO IT I BOUGHT A CD FOR ME AND ONE FOR EACH OF MY FRIENDS"
So then I didn't feel so bad about it since I've apparently gotten them quite a few more fans.

South Jersey, USA

you don't absolutely know that the person who uploaded your music on YouTube is a 'he'. sure maybe the YouTube account name may have a masculine bent to it, but for all we really know it could be some twisted lady pretending to be a man. or even worse, the kind of crazy ladies who drown their kids in the tub while the husband is at work.
I wouldn't have bothered contacting about your songs, you just never know who you're really dealing with.

ohio gozaimasu
n00bstar wrote:

If I spilled some milk and killed myself it would be an overreaction, but that doesn't mean crying over spilled milk isn't also an overreaction

Boise, ID

Hey it's safer to just post something and possibly apologize later, than to ask permission and get denied. Or ignored. tongue

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (Jul 21, 2013 5:53 am)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The reason I find youtube reuploads to be potentially sketchy is when people reupload stuff and the monetize the videos with ads and make money off of it.

Generally though, anything that I release for free I'm fine with people uploading for free anywhere as long as they credit me and aren't making any money from it.

TSSBAY01

thread about the questioning of legitimacy within sharing the work of artists

tempsoundsolutions wrote:

thread about the questioning of legitimacy within sharing the work of artists

If you don't want others to have it, keep it to yourself.

Tacoma WA
jefftheworld wrote:

The reason I find youtube reuploads to be potentially sketchy is when people reupload stuff and the monetize the videos with ads and make money off of it.

Generally though, anything that I release for free I'm fine with people uploading for free anywhere as long as they credit me and aren't making any money from it.

This.

If they throw ads on it and monitize it fuck them.