West Yorks, UK

Im just about sick of the UK getting scammed on prices for harware of various kinds; seems everyone just takes US prices and replaces the dollar sign with a pound one.

The latest thing thats vexed me in this manner is the Ouya indie console. $99 or £99. again: wtf? I darent even look at US korg volca prices to be entirely honest.

Why does this happen?
Anyone care to ship me one over from the US for a small cash incentive?

Peace

Brunswick, GA USA

I think the taxes make it become that price. You know, duty and vat... that's part of it.

West Yorks, UK

its all very convinient that the prices always stay the same whilst the currency sign gets replaced! also, this doesnt explain the US/UK price variance on products that come from japan or elsewhere!

Tokyo, Japan

Is it not possible to order from Amazon US to the UK? That how I used to get books and DVDs, even with shipping from the states it was cheaper than UK stores!

Murcia, Spain

Imagine how it is in the rest of Europe: 99$ = 99€ ...

Germany

well pounds are still worth more than euros if im not totally mistaken.
may i ask you why you want to buy an ouya in the first place? its overpriced for what it is even in us dollars. (yes im contra ouya)

Minneapolis

Look on Craigslist for one. Local sellers near me are unloading them, still in the box, because they backed the Kickstarter and already hate the console.

Last edited by arfink (Jul 21, 2013 3:49 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

That bad? I thought it was promising though I'd rather put the same resources into a pi...

Round figures are chosen as a matter of mental marketing, but the reason for differences is often hidden in logistics. I strongly suggest buying something from the US so you can see what £30 s/h and the postman demanding £100 for import tariff is really like.

Last edited by chunter (Jul 21, 2013 4:11 pm)

Murcia, Spain

Yes, pounds are higher in rate than euros, I mean it's just the same in Europe... xD

Minneapolis

Personally, all I'd use an Ouya for is emulation, none of the "exclusives" besides Towerfall are that good.

Germany

yeah. and for that, you may as well use an android tv stick. even smaller (just sits on your hdmi slot), and for less than the ouya price you can get quad core, 2 gigs of ram, bluetooth and such stuff.
http://www.everbuying.com/product433421.html
just an example.

edit: sorry for going kinda offtopic, i just felt it was important to note.

Last edited by Bamboori (Jul 21, 2013 6:37 pm)

Madriz, Supain
Bamboori wrote:

well pounds are still worth more than euros if im not totally mistaken.

But euro countries arent as rich and healthy as UK.

Anyways, is always a ripoff.

UK, Leicester

I know I'm not over there, but australia tends to get this shit way worse than anywhere else.

Madriz, Supain
Alpine wrote:

I know I'm not over there, but australia tends to get this shit way worse than anywhere else.

Actually yes

with 20% vat and ~10% import duty thats ~$130 which is about ~£85 and theres shipping on top of that. so it might not be such a huge scam after all