Chicago, IL

Hi guys, I'm doing some tedious, but promising experiments with samples on the gameboy. I'm working with a non-chip-affiliated audio engineer who has some cool ideas, but I don't have the technical expertise to give him everything he needs for our latest experiment.

Does anyone know the Frequency Response for the Gameboy? Or where I could find that information?

Sweeeeeeden

I'll just leave this here http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

buffalo, NY

Or do you mean C2 (65hz) to B12 (high enough to hurt people)

Chicago, IL

I migh as well share my idea with the experts, since I don't see how I'd ever pull it off myself anyways big_smile

Maybe this is stupid and impossible, I'm not technical but maybe it could be awesome. I've fiddled with making custom kits on the gameboy with LSDj. I've experimented with voices, synths and made some bass sounds that came out half-way decent.

I started thinking of two possible ways to improve the quality of the samples you're sending in;

1) applying things to the initial sample using more modern programs, things like dithering that are used to sort of change the sound on a base level. I know the lsdj import tool has dithering but I'm sure there'd be advantages or a way to use a more flexible dithering program to improve the overall sound.

2) Phase inversion/canceling. I have seen experiments where one frequency or tone can be created to cancel out another. I had the thought of using 2 gameboys running LSDJs and using a sample in one to cancel out or null some of the harshness or static tones coming out of the actual wav sample you want to hear on the other unit.

Is this crazy talk? Just trying to think of new ways to push the envelope...

buffalo, NY

On this track at 3:14 I doubled a section using a 25% square wave playing the same thing as a 75% square wave on another channel and was able to achieve a slight flanging effect due to microscopic differences in the playback.  It's pretty subtle but it's there, each measure is playing the same thing but sounds like it jumps through octaves.

http://danimalcannon.bandcamp.com/track/the-lunar-whale

Unsubscribe
BeatScribe wrote:

1) applying things to the initial sample using more modern programs,..

You will def get better results if you prelimit/dither/eq your samples before import. In fact almost all the samples ive put into lsdj sound way better/louder than the stock kits as a result.

Chicago, IL
herr_prof wrote:
BeatScribe wrote:

1) applying things to the initial sample using more modern programs,..

You will def get better results if you prelimit/dither/eq your samples before import. In fact almost all the samples ive put into lsdj sound way better/louder than the stock kits as a result.

So far, no matter what I do, anything musical has a screechy static on it. I'm playing with Ozone's various dithering algorithms. maybe i'll come up with something eventually..i made a blade runner/bass synth that actually sounds pretty great, so it gives me hope!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Don't forget to use the latest version of LSDJ, nitro's wonderful wave playback fixes have been rolled into the main program and make a huge difference.

Kyle, Tx
danimal cannon wrote:

On this track at 3:14 I doubled a section using a 25% square wave playing the same thing as a 75% square wave on another channel and was able to achieve a slight flanging effect due to microscopic differences in the playback.  It's pretty subtle but it's there, each measure is playing the same thing but sounds like it jumps through octaves.

http://danimalcannon.bandcamp.com/track/the-lunar-whale

I am on my cell right now but you might have created a binaural tone by doing that

Unsubscribe

also try a brickwall limiter on everything above the frequencies the sample channel can reproduce, this will make the dithering work better i believe.

sweden
BeatScribe wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

So far, no matter what I do, anything musical has a screechy static on it. I'm playing with Ozone's various dithering algorithms. maybe i'll come up with something eventually..i made a blade runner/bass synth that actually sounds pretty great, so it gives me hope!

http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/2013/02/11/gameboy-project-week-6-can-i-have-an-a-men/ wrote:

The wave channel on the Gameboy has a buffer containing 32 samples, or 16 bytes which is normally used to store a repeating wave form such as a sawtooth wave, square wave or sine wave. However, if you continually reload the buffer with new data, you can play a sampled waveform. This is all well except that the channel needs to be stopped before the buffer can be reloaded. The problem is that this causes a small spike in the waveform.

Guessing this is the static you're talking about?

Gosford, Australia

i have a gameboy where this "static" is super loud on all the stock kits, wheras the rest of them seem pretty normal.

it's like a buzzy, sawtooth-sounding note, same pitch as when the batteries are nearly flat and you're not playing any sound.

e: it's not really there when the pulse/noise channels aren't doing anything, though

Last edited by Victory Road (Jul 26, 2013 6:07 am)

Earth

It can help if you pull your sample into a DAW, and put it through a "bitcrusher" -- set it to 4-bits, and around 11468 hz. It gives you an idea of what the end result will sound like. Then start processing it with eq, compression, and find the best settings (edit, put the bit crusher at the END of the effects chain). Then disable the bitcrusher and export.

As far as the clicking sounds are concerned, upgrade to the newest version of lsdj. If its still a prob. maybe you have a bad gameboy.

Edit: oh yeah, you have to figure out how much to cut the low end and high end, as they will only add noise to the end result. Littlescale's guide gives good advice aboud this too. http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2008/1 … -lsdj.html

Just keep in mind that you are hammering this sample into a very low resolution sampler, and anything that isn't loud enough will just turn into noise.

Last edited by breakphase (Jul 26, 2013 3:52 pm)

BeatScribe wrote:

Hi guys, I'm doing some tedious, but promising experiments with samples on the gameboy. I'm working with a non-chip-affiliated audio engineer who has some cool ideas, but I don't have the technical expertise to give him everything he needs for our latest experiment.

Does anyone know the Frequency Response for the Gameboy? Or where I could find that information?

Hi,

I've did some experiment on the frequency response on the gameboy for a enhanced prosound,
My freq. analysis is quite basic, i've used white noise generated by LSDJ and then recorded that directly on may Mac, with a spectrum analyser to analyse it.

It is certainly not the best way to do that but was enough for my experiments.

You can see them here : http://noizeinabox.blogspot.com/2012/06 … nabox.html