Plymouth, UK

WARNING

If you are planning on using a DMG for this mod using a DMG to GBC cable you may run the risk of damaging either the DMG, the keyboard or even both!
I highly recommend using only a Gameboy Color or later model for this mod.

But nitro2k01 suggested this if you want to try it:

nitro2k01 wrote:

The one solution I can see is to instead (mis)use the output of the link port to power the keyboard. It doesn't require a modified cable, but...
1) It relies on the Gameboy to keep the data line high, which it might not always do.
2) The link port must be able to provide enough juice to power the keyboard. Depends on how much power the keyboard is using.
3) Even if this method almost works it might be glitchy.
4) Might damage the link port if the keyboard is using too much power.
So yeah...

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS THREAD BEFORE ATTEMPTING.

DISCLAIMER
I hold no responsibility of any damage to anything which may occur in the construction of this mod.
Anything which may go wrong is entirely your fault as mine works fine.

Ingredients:
1x PS/2 or AT keyboard
1x broken Gameboy (can be any model)
1x soldering iron
1x roll of tape
1x link cable with a 5v line
1x Junior hacksaw or something that will cut through PCB
1x craft knife or wire strimmers

-----------

Step one:
Cut out the female link port from your Gameboy so you're left with something link this:

Step two:
Cut off the end of your keyboard so you are left with four wires sticking out of the end.

Step three:
Solder the wires to the linkport. The wires' colours should make sense. If not just play around until you get the right order =P

For Gameboy (DMG-01) it could be either:
1-Clock
2-Data
3-Power
4-Ground

or (as nitro2k01 pointed out):
1   VCC              +5V DC
2   SOUT  red      Data Out
3   SIN     orange Data In
5   SCK    green   Shift Clock
6   GND    blue     Ground

For Gameboy Color and upwards:
1-Data
2-Power
3-Ground
6-Clock

Step four:
Put some tape around each of the wires to stop cross-talking.

Step five:
Grab your Gameboy of choice, LSDJ and your +5V link cable and make some tunes.

-----------

I'm gonna mount the port in the side soon so there are no wires sticking out to snap off.
If you do make this post back with images.

Need help? Post back or email me.

Working Keyboard

Last edited by 2xAA (Dec 18, 2011 12:53 am)

MA

Nice tut but... why waste a Gameboy? Couldn't you just use a port from an old DMG-07 PCB? I think there's three you can use... but I could be wrong. Nice work tho! wink

Plymouth, UK

I had a Gameboy which didn't work at all. I've heard rumours about a Gameboy breakout board coming soon so that might be a way to go...

Plus I now have one cable which I can use for anything.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

or you could skip all that and house a normal GB link cable into the keyboard and just send me the female link cable cuz i need 'em. hahaha.

MA
low-gain wrote:

or you could skip all that and house a normal GB link cable into the keyboard and just send me the female link cable cuz i need 'em. hahaha.

Yes sir! I have 8 for you....

I just don't want people to have to ruin an old GB PCB on this... not very economical wink

Unsubscribe

I did this for one of my arduinoboys.. very handy!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Turtle413 wrote:
low-gain wrote:

Yes sir! I have 8 for you....

I just don't want people to have to ruin an old GB PCB on this... not very economical wink

agreed.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I would advise the use of 3/4"-1" heat shrink tube to put around the connector assembly to insulate it from shorts.

Plymouth, UK
Turtle413 wrote:

just don't want people to have to ruin an old GB PCB on this... not very economical

Hey, I never said you had to do the tutorial. I said use a broken GB/CGB for the mod.

low-gain wrote:

I would advise the use of 3/4"-1" heat shrink tube to put around the connector assembly to insulate it from shorts.

Thanks, I'll go out and find some smile