Oceanside, CA

Hello fellow chiptuners, I'm new to making chiptunes and am completely illiterate when it comes to the file tweaking. Ive tried to setup my ems cart so I can edit or remove files from my cartridge. I know theres a tutorial for windows 7 but I couldn't seem to get it to work and it was very complicating for me. All I need to know is if there is an easy way to do it. Trying to add lsnd files to my cartridge so I can possibly remix songs others have made as well as backup my songs that ive made. If theres a way to do it easily on windows xp then I guess im goin old school with xp. Any sort of tips and tricks you may have feel free to let me know.
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks! smile

Germany

same here. if i cannot solve the issue of the drivers not being recognized i will have to use win xp.

Unsubscribe

I had the problem until i tried a different cable and then a different machine. I think the type of usb card used plays a part.

Canada

I'm sure you've read through all the software/driver software/drivers you need here? It's different for 64bit systems.
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card

I emulated an xp environment using VMWare on my mac when I was using EMS carts, and that worked perfectly. 32bit, of course.

Last edited by Jansaw (Aug 6, 2013 10:50 pm)

Oceanside, CA

Now for 32bit OS, you just download the drivers and thats it?
Just wondering because theres a guide for 64 bit but not 32 bit.
Either way you guys helped me out!
Thanks.

Canada

It's there. For 32 bit windows systems it's here: http://www.hkems.com/files/GB_USB.rar

That has everything you need to figure it out. Kitsch-bent is pretty much the go to place for a lot of your chiptune needs (for me, anyways).

Germany

well i followed the tutorial for 64bit systems (which i have) up until step 12. i tried installing the driver from the correct folder, but the driver installer didnt find any.

Canada

Can you direct the program to the right folder that the driver file is in? Did you put the driver file in the place it says it looks for it? I don't have windows/use these anymore so I'm just guessing here. Sorry I can't help further.

Germany

yeah thats exactly what i did... /:
though i had to do it via settings -> devices and printers and then update the driver manually. but it didnt recognize the driver files.
could it be that the signing of the files didnt work somehow? is there a way i can test that?

also sorry for hijacking this thread, i just figured it wont make much sense to post a new topic as you basically had the same problem as me.

A friend who is a really experienced programmer and electro-engineer told me that x64 windows flat out won't work.
It has to be a x86. I tend to believe him.

Gosford, Australia

I know theres a tutorial for windows 7 but I couldn't seem to get it to work and it was very complicating for me. All I need to know is if there is an easy way to do it.

if the tutorial you're referring to is about putting windows into test mode to turn off digital signatures for drivers, then yeah that's the only way. it doesn't matter whether or not your version of windows 7 is 32-bit or 64-bit (source: i'm using EMS carts and GB_USB.exe with a x64 version of windows 7)

Oceanside, CA

I tried it and got as far as installing the drivers in the end where you verify the .sys files with the installer. It keeps giving me an error saying it found the drivers but the "third party INF does not contain digital signature information"

Boise, ID

I would say find somebody with a mac. Once you download the mac version it's something like 4 or 5 quick lines in terminal and you're done. Chainsaw Police has a great tutorial.

Oceanside, CA

I finally won the battle over this EMS cart. Got ahold of a 32bit windows xp computer and the installation was fine. It recommends not to install it because windows cant recognize it but i clicked install anyway and it works fine. Thanks for all the help guys smile