Bristol

Hi y'all,
As part of the bigger Hub Festival, my partner in chiptune crime and I have wangled a late night chip party in to the line up!

www.hubcardiff.com for tickets and info (also a cheap way of seeing a ton of great music in Wales if you are not going to any bank holiday festivals..)

The chips kicks off at midnight on August 24th, with JellyBear, Alone and Byzanite (plus many great non-chip acts throughout the festival)

Jellybear:
JellyBear is the alias of Jack Farrow, twenty year old experimental producer currently  living in Cardiff. After studying music from an early age playing the piano JellyBear moved on to writing chiptune influenced music in 2008 taking inspiration from Sabrepulse, Philter, nsrrenard and many other chip artists. In 2013 Jelly released his first album 'Hey JellyBear' which can be found at jellybear.bandcamp.com

Alone:
Retro games consoles filtered through digital delays and drum machines. Layered with guitars, some distortion and even a few words. Alone paints a post-something slice of hazy danceable sounds pulled from late night memories of virtual adventures.
Alone is James Reichelt, and is found in Cardiff, Wales
www.alone-music.co.uk

Byzanite:
Going solo from an Electro/Glitch duo in March 2009, Byzanite since then soared to a unique sound of chiptune. With other tastes in music, He indulges in non-purism chiptune or creations which have no 8-bit elements in at all!
With tracks featuring on Adam Walton's Welsh Music Show on BBC Radio Wales, Jen Long's Introducing Show on BBC Radio 1 and working closely with Babycakes Clothing, Byzanite will soon be a house hold name for Dance & Electronic music!
https://soundcloud.com/byzanite

Bristol

sorry d/p =/

Manchester, UK

Jeez man, chip music in Cardiff now? Further proof that I need to live there again. Might even try to get down there for this. Where are you having the chip party (as in which venue)?

Bristol

We are doing our best! I got fed up of there being no live chip around here.
We've got a good 3 hours at Four Bars (aka upstairs at Dempsey's). The festival itself is covering Clwb, the full moon, moon club, four bars and more.

Manchester, UK

I didn't know Dempsey's had an upstairs. This thread is blowing my mind repeatedly. Good on ya mate for getting some chip going on in Cardiff, that's great work. Hope I can get down there for it.

Bristol

Not to put you off coming ( totally come) but we are planning a big chip/ gaming event on November 3rd too.. Chips/game cover bands/tourneys etc. you heard it here first. Obviously will be posting more info when we properly start pushing it.

Swansea, UK

Bodders! James (ALONE) is now the cornerstone of the welsh chipmusic scene. All he needs to do now is start a cassette label with me (hint, hint) and he'll be the don of bleeps.

So glad that fellow Swansea-massive-sexy-music-manthing Byzanite is playing. That guy is all kinds of brutal on stage.

I'm playing on the Sunday with the Dragon Era crew. Little Eris, Stereoripe and us (Kinetic Monkey; my vocalist Bex and Me) are taking over Four Bars from midnight 'til kickout time. Come along, it'll be immense!

Bristol

Cassette label? How about minidisc?
If I'm awake on Sunday ill be trucking in to see you guys too! well excited for Hub, it's all come together so quickly I can barely keep up.

Manchester, UK
donotrunwithpixels wrote:

Bodders!

It's so weird that I already know a guy in Swansea who calls me Bodders.

So it's a bit shit but I don't think I can make this August event. Le sad. But I've got my eyes set firmly on that November thing (make it happen fellas). Knowing that there's some solid chiptuning going on down there has made my week lads, nice one. It's also added fuel to my "move back to Cardiff" fire. CAERDYDD MY DARLING I'M COMING!

Swansea, UK

Much as I am a fan of the minidisc (my brother in law gave me his massive collection), it's just a little too niche, and also quite pricey for a digital medium release. It's not far down that road before you start releasing on wax cylinder, betamax, DCC, or microcassette.

I do, however, have a nice cassette duplicator and just need an excuse to use it. Cassette releases cost nothing (the MCRP release I did for the monome community was full colour and cost around 70p a cassette for a run of 50 - It was more expensive to post them out than it was to produce them). Analogue is the future.

Swansea, UK

Also, there was an amazing Boddrick who was known as Bodders at Swansea Uni 2002-5. He instilled a great sense of Bodderosity into Swansea folklore. *dreamy eyes* Ah, Bodders.... *sigh*

Bristol

Ideas are forming!

Swansea, UK

Facebook me.

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand: HUB FESTIVAL!!! WOOOOT!!

Liverpool, UK

>Lives in Manchester, the home of Superbyte Festival
>Wants to move back to Cardiff cos of chiptunes
u wot ther m8?

Not to insult this show, mind, it looks top! I'm unable to make this August show, but I'm certainly gonna try and head down to the November one mentioned - I could do with a lil' Welsh weekender!

Manchester, UK

I don't want to move back to Cardiff because of chiptunes. I want to move back to Cardiff because I love the place and have loads of friends there. Knowing that there's a chip scene developing there is the proverbial cherry on top.

Incidentally, I won't be around for Superbyte, which is a proverbial steaming pile of shite in the proverbial face.

Bristol, UK

I'm sure this one will be awesome but I know that the November one will be wink

Last edited by Evil Scientist (Aug 9, 2013 8:10 pm)