So I bought the backlight kit from asmretro and it's running fine except I can't really see anything.
I can faintly see where the nintendo logo would be if there was no cartridge installed and even then it's only visible with the contrast right in the middle.

I'm not sure if it's damage to the LCD because there is an image there, it's just incredibly faint.

Piccy: Tetris is being displayed, it's just too faint to register.

Last edited by lazy_eh (Aug 15, 2013 4:22 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

Did you follow all of the directions?

I had trouble getting the back layers off and had to scrub some residue off, but I followed all the directions I found here:
http://asmretro.com/density-backlight-tutorial

I don't see any horizontal or vertical lines though so in theory the ribbon cables should be in tact right?
sad

Last edited by lazy_eh (Aug 15, 2013 4:24 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

Was this your first time? and you peeled off the polarizer and the reflector layer off the LCD?

Shameless plug.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NtXQvYND4

This was my first time, and I think I got everything.
Lemme fish it out of the garbage and take a pic, watch for edit. smile

Last edited by lazy_eh (Aug 15, 2013 4:30 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

You installed the new polarizer?

Oh.....
The directions didn't mention that the polarizer goes UNDER the display...

Of course common sense isn't my strongpoint.
The only issue now is that the colours are inverted, is that normal?

Taichung, Taiwan

Turn the polarizer film 90 degrees left or right to change the inversion.

Got it!
Thank you so much!

Michigan

Haha, I see your polarized in the first pic now.:lol:

When I get more adventurous there is a bit more residue that could be cleaned off.
The problem with alcohol is that it left behind a kind of film while still not taking everything off.

Working smile

Protip:
If you wear nail polish it will come off during this so I'd go in with clean nails next time.
smile

Taichung, Taiwan

Use compressed air (canned air) to get all the alcohol dry if you don't want to risk getting lint stuck underneath the screen when drying via q-tips.

UK, Leicester
lazy_eh wrote:

Protip:
If you wear nail polish it will come off during this so I'd go in with clean nails next time.
smile

Yeah, I used rubbing alcohol to clean nail polish off a while back when a friend of mine thought it would be hilarious to paint my nails while I was asleep.

She did a really shit job as well

Last edited by Alpine (Aug 15, 2013 12:24 pm)

I did use compressed air but there was some stuff still stuck until, ironically, I used the cotton swab to swipe away.
o_o

The only thing worrying me is the cheap quality screwdriver, I have to open the case again because it's not closed 100% properly and I'm terrified of rounding the screws.
Has anyone replaced them completely?

Taichung, Taiwan
lazy_eh wrote:

I did use compressed air but there was some stuff still stuck until, ironically, I used the cotton swab to swipe away.
o_o

The only thing worrying me is the cheap quality screwdriver, I have to open the case again because it's not closed 100% properly and I'm terrified of rounding the screws.
Has anyone replaced them completely?

You might not be using the compressed air correctly.

You might not be screwing the case together correctly or using the correct sized screw driver.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Aug 15, 2013 2:28 pm)

The can was getting empty so it's possible, and the power button is a bit finnicky so it's possible that it's the reason why.
The screwdriver was bought from ebay and while it worked the metal is a bit weak and flakey.